Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6.0 basic functionality with Vista/Office 2007.

ACT 6.0 basic functionality with Vista/Office 2007.

Hi All..

I do desktop support at our small company here and, unfortunately, had to setup our customer service tech with Vista and Office 2007.  All sales staff and management are still on XP/ACT 6.0.  

Ive done some googling about.. and havent hit upon a definate answer.  I understand there are some incompatibilties with Vista/Office 2k7 and ACT 6.0.. 

The only concern I have is can my service tech add notes to the central Act 6.0 database without causing any data corruption etc?  I don't care about email / editor functionality (I think?), he just needs to add notes to customer records.

Secondly,

I, admittedly, know almost nothing about Act.  I had to take over IT support when our last guy left.  Our ACT database is simply a file sitting on a shared network drive.  If I had to upgrade this one user to a newer (Act 2008?) version, will it co-exist with the existing Act 6.0 clients, or does it force me to run a central SQL server, convert existing database to this and therefore force upgrading of all current clients?

thanks for any feedback you can offer,

Brett 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 6.0 basic functionality with Vista/Office 2007.

ACT! 6.0 may run under Vista but may have problems and won't be supported. It won't link to Office 2007.

ACT! 2008 is a SQL database and will require all users to upgrade in order to share data

[ Edited ]

Even though ACT7/8/9/10 all run on SQL Sage will not allow you to run any different versions. They (SAGE) want to make sure that they squeeze ever penny out of you. SO BEWARE. If you upgrade 1 single copy, you will have to upgrade all of them to be able to access you data on all of them.

ACT! used to be great. I have used and implemented Packrat, Lotus, Maximizer, Goldmine and others and I was an early adapter of Palm handhelds. I have installed ACT! at numerous SMB’s  until version 7.

Below is a summery of my ACT! experience over the years.

I have been working in the computer engineering and support field for 25 years.

I have been using ACT! for almost 20 years since ACT! for DOS (1988). I upgraded to Act! 2 for Windows (1994, Symantec), Act! 3 for Windows 95/NT (1996, Symantec), ACT! 4 (1998, Symantec) and ACT! 5/2000 (1999, Symantec). ACT! 5 was probably the best ACT software version but ACT! 2004 (a face-lift and not really much was added in terms features) including ACT! for Palm OS was also very usable. ACT! 2005 (7.0) did not support any ACT! OS for Palm and was an overall horror show for IT professionals. The geniuses at Sage decided to rewrite ACT as a Microsoft SQL application. Actions that where instantaneous in previous versions took now several seconds to almost minutes. Bugs, bugs, more bugs and incompatibilities. Drag and drop does not work anymore in daily calendar window or task window to move an appointment to a different day. Notes can not be edited by simply clicking on the note. The note has to be opened now to edit. NO MORE TAPI support to take advantage of Caller-ID.

ACT! 6 uses between 22meg and 25meg of actual "Memory Usage" (User guide suggests 64 MB of RAM). I have seen ActSage.exe use as much as 155meg actual "Memory Usage" typically around 41meg (User guide suggests min 512 MB of RAM on your system). Not only does ActSage.exe use a lot of memory but since it needs SQL to run you get additional overhead. (SQLserv.exe 40meg and others) It also seems the Palm HotSync.exe grew to over 116meg of actual "Memory Usage" during sync with ACT!, then it returned to about 8meg when sync with other apps (usual less than 2meg in stand-by). The bottom line is that Sage suggests that you need 8 times the memory when you switch from ACT! 6 to ACT! 7 or later. Hoping the software would improve I purchased 2 copies of ACT! 2006 (8.0) which I have been running on 2 test computers for about a year now. Recently I also purchase ACT! 2007 (9.0) including ACT! OS for Palm 2006 (ver 2). After 2 years of testing ACT! 2005/2006/2007 and OS for Palm 2006 and the last 45 days of using ACT! 2007 and OS for Palm 2006 as my primary contact manager on my Notebook and Desktop, I decided to go back to ACT! 6 and ACT! for Palm OS. I am loosing 45 days of data (well not really, I just have to go thru the reports for the past 45 days and inputting everything manual into my ACT! 6 database), but I can not deal with all the problems that this upgrade has given me.

I use and support hundreds of applications and I have worked with much bigger CRM packages all running on SQL, Clientele by Epicor, Microsoft CRM, Service Center now owned by HP but I have to say that ACT! 2005 thru 2008 is one of the most problematic “bloatware” software packages out there.

Sage Support: The ACT.com Knowledge base is completely useless and does not come up with any resolution to any of the errors I searched for.

They also offer no E-mail support and expect the customer to pay for all problems that the software causes.

Message Edited by Formel_Eins on 05-13-2008 01:07 PM
Message Edited by Formel_Eins on 05-13-2008 01:08 PM
Message Edited by Formel_Eins on 05-13-2008 01:08 PM

Formel_Eins wrote:

Even though ACT7/8/9/10 all run on SQL Sage will not allow you to run any different versions. They (SAGE) want to make sure that they squeeze ever penny out of you. SO BEWARE. If you upgrade 1 single copy, you will have to upgrade all of them to be able to access you data on all of them.

Funny enough, they don't use the SAME versions of SQL and Microsoft don't allow different versions or schema  of their database to be directly shared.

I have been using ACT! for almost 20 years since ACT! for DOS (1988). I upgraded to Act! 2 for Windows (1994, Symantec), Act! 3 for Windows 95/NT (1996, Symantec), ACT! 4 (1998, Symantec) and ACT! 5/2000 (1999, Symantec). ACT! 5 was probably the best ACT software version but ACT! 2004 (a face-lift and not really much was added in terms features) including ACT! for Palm OS was also very usable. ACT! 2005 (7.0) did not support any ACT! OS for Palm and was an overall horror show for IT professionals.

It wasn't as bad as 3.0 - the first release by Symantec. It took them till V5 to get it back to the stability of 2.0 

They also offer no E-mail support and expect the customer to pay for all problems that the software causes.

Most people would find answers to their questions here...

[ Edited ]

Maybe that’s another problem. Sage changes databases too often and release product before anyone at their company has figured them out. And even when the database is the same from one version to the next they still want you to shell out the money for an upgrade across the board.

I used to be just like you an ACT! advocate. I loved ACT! and would tell everyone I came across. But then came the “Dark Ages” starting with version 7.

{edited - please post courteously} How can you expect customers and IT professionals to stay loyal to a product and company the makes customers pay for alpha testing (Act! 7) and beta testing (Act! 8). Then on top of paying for a bad product, Sage collected money for tech-support phone calls (bug fixing). Sage (Interact, Best or whatever they called themselves at the time) should have given all 7.0 and 8.0 customers their money back including free upgrades and a big apology for time wasted.

Message Edited by Formel_Eins on 05-14-2008 12:32 AM
Message Edited by tashina on 05-14-2008 12:01 AM

Formel_Eins wrote:

Maybe that’s another problem. Sage changes databases too often and release product before anyone at their company has figured them out. And even when the database is the same from one version to the next they still want you to shell out the money for an upgrade across the board.

I don't know any upgrade that has kept the same database format. In order to add features, this requires changes to the database to store the additional information... of course, the previous version won't understand the new information. This is the same with any database product.

I used to be just like you an ACT! advocate. I loved ACT! and would tell everyone I came across. But then came the “Dark Ages” starting with version 7.

3.0 by Symantec was worse... and for the same reasons.

{edited - please post courteously} How can you expect customers and IT professionals to stay loyal to a product and company the makes customers pay for alpha testing (Act! 7) and beta testing (Act! 8). Then on top of paying for a bad product, Sage collected money for tech-support phone calls (bug fixing). Sage (Interact, Best or whatever they called themselves at the time) should have given all 7.0 and 8.0 customers their money back including free upgrades and a big apology for time wasted.

Actually, there was a cash refund of some amount done for users who purchased ACT! 7.0 a while back. But, it's really up to users to test any software before deploying it in a production environment.

I'm still using ACT 6.0 and have been using Act for many many years through many versions.

I now need to have other people update and share this Act database, link the database with blackberry's etc. and down the line work with Vista (we are still trying to hold on to XP machines)

The horror stories I have been reading about upgrading from ACT 6.0 and even unistalling later versions and reinstalling ver 6.0 have kept us from trying newer versions.  We are a small business without an IT person and if possible try to err on the conservative side in order to avoid software problems.  The only features we use from ACT is the contacts with the notes and groups.  The notes field has prooved to be very useful in keeping dated histories and notes (and is a feature lacking in other packages we evaluated), and the groups has prooved useful to finding information quickly and creating mailing lists.  We don't use any of the other features.  We are now at a crossroads as we need to move forward - and let more people in our office use a unified contact manager.  In principal I don't think it's a good idea to invest time and money and training for Act 6.0 when it is so old and will probably run into obstacles as OS and programs continue to evolve.  I see some online contact managers that look great, but for security reasons would prefer to keep company data in the company and not on some remote server.  Do we switch out of ACT and if yes to what?  Or are there happy stories about the new versions of Act?

tzvifrank wrote:

I'm still using ACT 6.0 and have been using Act for many many years through many versions.

I now need to have other people update and share this Act database, link the database with blackberry's etc. and down the line work with Vista (we are still trying to hold on to XP machines)

The horror stories I have been reading about upgrading from ACT 6.0 and even unistalling later versions and reinstalling ver 6.0 have kept us from trying newer versions.

ACT! 2009 is by far the best version of ACT! to-date.

We are a small business without an IT person and if possible try to err on the conservative side in order to avoid software problems.

The best solution is often to get a Certified Consultant to assist with the initial setup. This will help avoid any common issues and produce the best long term investment in the software

The only features we use from ACT is the contacts with the notes and groups.  The notes field has prooved to be very useful in keeping dated histories and notes (and is a feature lacking in other packages we evaluated), and the groups has prooved useful to finding information quickly and creating mailing lists.  We don't use any of the other features.

The faci8lities to automate the use of just those functions should make the upgrade useful

We are now at a crossroads as we need to move forward - and let more people in our office use a unified contact manager.  In principal I don't think it's a good idea to invest time and money and training for Act 6.0 when it is so old and will probably run into obstacles as OS and programs continue to evolve.  I see some online contact managers that look great, but for security reasons would prefer to keep company data in the company and not on some remote server.  Do we switch out of ACT and if yes to what?  Or are there happy stories about the new versions of Act?

ACT! 2009 is significantly better than 6.0... and you can have wireless sync to the Blackberry phones with Handheld Contact

Champion Listener

Formel_Eins;

While Mike has pointed out some factual issues in the accusations who make against Sage, I sense your frustration remains.  Please feel free to give me a email me directly to discuss (we can set up a phone call after that).  As the record of this community attests, we have a record of resolving most valid concerns.

Dave

david.vantoor@sage.com

Greetings,

I came across this thread while working on updating my resume ...

GLComputing wrote:

It wasn't as bad as 3.0 - the first release by Symantec. It took them till V5 to get it back to the stability of 2.0 ...

As a programmer that was part of the team that put out the 2.0 DOS version, I take that as a big complement. :-)

Thanks,

James T. Savidge, Saturday, September 20, 2008