Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6.0 User Needs To Change Record Manager to a New Name

Tuned Listener

ACT 6.0 User Needs To Change Record Manager to a New Name

Help -- yep, still using ACT! 6.0 (from 2003-2004) and need to change the 'record manager' name, a person who is no longer at the company.  Need to change the name from Tom to Bob lets say.    Have seen some posts that say to do this through "Tools' then 'Manager Users', but this older version of ACT! does not have this option.  Please advise, and thanks anyone for your assistance.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 6.0 User Needs To Change Record Manager to a New Name

Tuned Listener

Mike:

I did create a new user under Define Users in administration, but the old user, 001, the one whose name is the record manager, cannot be deleted.  It is greyed out.  The old user, 001 has administrator rights, but so does the new user I created.

In any case, how does creating a new user replace the record manager name?  I feel I am missing more steps.  Thanks for replying and please shed more light.  I am no ACT expert by any means.  Please let me know how to replace the old record mgr name with a new record mgr name for all the records already in the database that have the old record mgr name.  Thanks again.

Log in as the new user, delete the old user and re-assign the records to the new user

Backup first
Tuned Listener

Mike:

Almost there.  Logged in as new user, and now am able to delete the old user in Define Users.  But after the deletion,  how do I re-assign the old records to the new record mgr name?

When you delete the user, it will ask if you want to delete all their records or re-assign them to another user.

Like I said, make sure you have done a backup
Tuned Listener

Mike:

Thanks ... it took about 15 mins to re-assign the records but at the tail end of the process an unexpected runtime error closed ACT.  I dont think this was a big thing, as I went back to look at the database and most of the records were re-assigned.  Do you know what caused the runtime error?

But I do have another question.  Is there a way to change the record creator  as well? (in addition to record manager).

The process changed the record mgr, but not the record creator which I was hoping it would as well.  Please advise, and again thanks for your quick and knowledgable expertise!

Most likely there is some corruption in the ACT! database.

You should use ACTDIAG and try to repair it.

No, you can't change the Record Creator
Tuned Listener

Mike:

Will try that. 

On another approach, if I wanted to create a new database using the old one we just worked with (the same records), so that the record creator for the new database would show a new name assigned to the existing records, how would one do that?   Would I have to export the records into a certain file than import them once I create a new database.  Would this get rid of the old record creator name?

Thanks Mike, the whole objective to this message thread & inquiry was actually to change both the record creator & record manager old names, even if I have to create a new database.  Please advise.

Tuned Listener

Mike -- you still there?  Would enjoy to hear from you regarding my last post (record creator/new database?).  Thanks much.