Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6.0 - Startup error msg

gfc

ACT 6.0 - Startup error msg

Hi,

I'm using ACT 6.0 at the moment in my office (No, they are not ready to upgrade-I've tried!) and every time I start ACT it gives me the following msg.

"An invalid path or filename was specified"

It never used to come up before, but now it does and I'm not sure what it means or how to get rid of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ema

Bronze Contributor

Re: ACT 6.0 - Startup error msg

Ema,

Generally you will get this error if the last database, specificed contact layout or group layout cannot be found or have been moved. If you open ACT go to Edit, Preferences and select the startup TAB. Check in there that all of the files mentioned abover are in the locations specified. If they are not you can use the browse button to navigate to their new locations or choose the other options (e.g. instead of specified database change to last opened) should resolve this error.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
gfc

Pbuchtmann - I did do as u said.. I checked the locations and here is what i did -

1. default contact layout - i checked if the location was correct, it was

2. default group layout - wasn't correct i corrected it.

3. changed startup database to 'last opened database'

4. run macro on startup - none

In the 'general' tab i also changed the word prcessor location which might've been incorrect. I changed the 'file type' to 'document' and double checked the location, it was ok.

I'm still getting the message though, is there something i missed?

Ema

Bronze Contributor

So for the layout settings you used the browse button to go and verify the files being set or did you check them via Explorer?

Generally these are the only things within the program that cause this error. Do you have any addons installed? I hate to suggest a reinstall but it is possible one of the program files is damaged

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Ema

I cannot help you but must say, ACT 6 was best ever.

All versions after that do not even start to campare. They have problem after problem.

I may go back to that because it was simple and easy to use.

This is what happens when program designers upgrade without talking to customers.

Richard

First change the startup of the user that has issues to open in list view.  This will stop the error There are no available layouts in ...\layouts\. 

Then do the following,

Take an old Basic Layout and save them into the folder that is causing the error.  When you load you can then open a record and select one of your custom layouts.  This is working for me as the other issues seemed to be very invasive.