Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6.0 -- Is it Possible to Modify Previous Labels in a Field Drop Down Edit List and Have it Update to All Records in the Database?

ACT 6.0 -- Is it Possible to Modify Previous Labels in a Field Drop Down Edit List and Have it Update to All Records in the Database?

[ Edited ]

I have an ID/Status field with the label Prospect in the drop down edit list. 2000 or so of my contacts are marked as Prospect, I want to change them all to the label Contact.

I have tried modifying the label "prospect" to "contact" but it only modifies it for the one particular contact I am working on instead of applying the changes to the entire database.

Is there a way to accomplish this? Otherwise I wil have to go through each contact and choose the new label from the drop down and that would be quite time-consuming.

Any input or solutions would be greatly appreicated. Thank you!

Message Edited by MagicMarketer17 on 06-03-2008 02:58 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 6.0 -- Modify Labels in a Drop Down List and Update All Records in the Database?

Do a Lookup for all records with ID/Status field = "Prospect"

Edit | Replace

Change ID/Status to "Contact"

Re: ACT 6.0 -- Modify Labels in a Drop Down List and Update All Records in the Database?

What happens when you have a contact with two ID/Status checked.  I.e., a contact has 'Prospect; Friend" and you just want to change the 'Prospect' to 'Contact' so that you have ID/Status = 'Contact; Friend'.

I have the same trouble, I have multiple ID/Status for many contacts, but need to shorten, reorganize the tags.  However, when I edit the list and make the change, the contacts keep their original text.  If I use the edit | replace, I loose the other tags.

How do you accomplish this??

Thanks!!!

David

Thanks!

David M. Knoble
Financial Resources & Consulting Group
http://www.financialresgroup.com

You'd need to look up ID/Status = 'Prospect; Friend'

Then Edit | Replace ID/Status = 'Contact; Friend'

If you have a lot of fiddly changes to make in ACT! 6.0, you might find it easier to get Oak!Check to make these changes. It has a lot of functions designed for cleaning up data in ACT! 6.0

Mike, thank you for your quick reply.  What you said makes sense.  I am using Act! 2007.

Do you know if Act! will allow wildcard characters in the replace ID/Status field, so if you have contacts with various id status and you want to change all of them you can leave the other ID/Status fields intact?  I.e., to take this example further, you have several contacts with 'Prospect; Friend' and several others with 'Prospect; Referral'.  Can you do a look up for all that contain 'Prospect' and then do a replace with '*; Contact'?

As I write this, my guess is no because if it did allow wildcards, it would not know what to replace although it might add the 'Contact' label to the ID/Status.

Thus, second question, is there an add on for a good search and replace that allows a field to be partially replaced, or do I have to use a SQL product and edit the database directly?

Thanks again for your help!  I am grateful!

Thanks!

David M. Knoble
Financial Resources & Consulting Group
http://www.financialresgroup.com

davidm wrote:

Mike, thank you for your quick reply.  What you said makes sense.  I am using Act! 2007.

This thread was about ACT! 6.0... for next time, you should start your own thread unless it's the same as the original poster.

Do you know if Act! will allow wildcard characters in the replace ID/Status field, so if you have contacts with various id status and you want to change all of them you can leave the other ID/Status fields intact?  I.e., to take this example further, you have several contacts with 'Prospect; Friend' and several others with 'Prospect; Referral'.  Can you do a look up for all that contain 'Prospect' and then do a replace with '*; Contact'?

As I write this, my guess is no because if it did allow wildcards, it would not know what to replace although it might add the 'Contact' label to the ID/Status.

You're tight. This is not possible,

Thus, second question, is there an add on for a good search and replace that allows a field to be partially replaced, or do I have to use a SQL product and edit the database directly?

You can not edit the database directly... it will cause many issues.

If you need to do this for a lot of records, you might find it possible with itImport.If just doing the contacts, you only need the Basic Edition.

You can add a field to the database and have itImport autonumber all the records. The use the Contact List and display the Unique field, contact, company and ID/Status and export them to Excel.

Modify the ID/Status field in Excel and use itImport to merge the changes back into the database.