Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6.0 Failed to connect to the word processor, the word processor driver is not running

ACT 6.0 Failed to connect to the word processor, the word processor driver is not running

Hi there,

We have upgraded to office 2003 and since then this error appears when doing write - letter.

we have tried the actreg.exe and also the word hotfix.

any other ideas?

or work arounds?

cheers

Re: ACT 6.0 Failed to connect to the word processor, the word processor driver is not running

Hi ruffmeister,

I've seen this before.  My solution was (applies to Windows XP, don't know about others):

ACT! 6.0 has to be installed after Word (/Office), so assuming it was installed before the upgrade to Office 2003, you will need to uninstall & re-install it.  Before you begin, read all of the following...

The Windows user-account you are in must have Administrator priviledges when you do the re-install.  If there will be other Windows user-accounts on the computer that will be used to run ACT, they will have to have Administrator priviledges as well.

After you've set the user-account(s) priviledges, uninstall and re-install ACT (and the Hotfix for Word 2003, I think, so just do it).

Make sure the word processor is set for Word 2003 in the Preferences.

Open ACT and try a letter.  If it works (it should), continue with this solution.

I recommend that you re-start the computer, open ACT, and open a letter again.  This doesn't always make a difference, but let's play it safe.

If there will be other Windows user-accounts on the computer that will be used to run ACT, log in to Windows in each user-account, and repeat the steps in the previous three lines for each user-account.

Once you've completed these steps, you can change the Windows user-accounts from Administrator back to whatever they were before.

That's it.

Obviously, I can't guarantee that this will solve the problem, but it worked for me numerous times.

Good luck...

Re: ACT 6.0 Failed to connect to the word processor, the word processor driver is not running

I am getting a similar error message, although I downloaded Act 6 again.   Do you suggest that I delelet Act 6 completely and then re-down load it?  If so, I assume that all my databases and templates will be saved and not deleted.

Hi there, I tried your solution with a similar - but not identical - problem. The message I'm getting is: ACT could not open your word processor. This may be a result of inadequate permissions in Windows. MS Word or 2002 (XP). The word processor driver is not running. I have a single-user license and use ACT from a home office. I just bought a new Vista machine and installed Office 2002 from my MS Office XP Small Business CD. Could the problem be due to Vista? I have MS Office Professional Edition 2003 Upgrade but never installed it. Would uninstalling 2002 and replacing it with 2003 make a difference? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Platinum Elite Contributor

There is a link to a KB on that error from this ACT! knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/2flxqn

Unfortunately, it comes up with an error saying it requires login to access it.

Maybe one of the moderators can get that KB info and either fix the KB or post the content
Nickel Super Contributor

I just tested the link and I'm not having any issues loading the kb article.

That KB has a link to another KB with the actual error as described in this thread:

Title : Error Message: "Failed to Connect to Word Processor: ACT! Word Processor" or "Failed to Connect to Word Processor: Word 95 - 2002," Followed by "The Word Processor Driver Is Not Running" When Writing or Editing a Document

Try going to that and clicking on the link.
Nickel Super Contributor

I'm having our kb team take a look at the article.

Thanks Amanda.

I've actually found a tiff I have of the KB article which I could post on a site if they can't fix the problem.
Nickel Super Contributor

I have an update from our KB team. That kb has actually been pulled from public view and is no longer available. That is why we get the login when attempting to access it.