Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6.0 Failed to connect to the word processor, the word processor driver is not running

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 6.0 Failed to connect to the word processor, the word processor driver is not running

What is the full version identification of the ACT! program? What version of Word/Office? What Windows operating system?

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: ACT 6.0 Failed to connect to the word processor, the word processor driver is not running

Hi Mike,

Please send me the registry changes for this fix.

[ Edited ]

EDIT - Problem came back on re-boot, so follow the steps below, then change the program compatibility setting to Windows XP (Service Pack 2). I'm now getting a pop-up before it will run, but the word processor now always works.

I'm pretty sure you can get rid of these User Account Control (UAC) messages, but for now I'm happy. Word 2003 on Win 7 again. Just make sure you have installed the Word 2003 hot fix.

LOL...I've found the fix. After so bloody long.....

If you have confirmed you have a permission issue in windows 7, by confirming that neither the ACT 6 Word Prosessor nor the Word 2003 will run (after applying the Word2003HotFix) do this -

Control Panel

Programs

Run programs made for previous versions of Windows (Under the heading Programs & Features)

It will then open a Program Compatibility Window -

Click Next

Let it detect for issues and then select 'Act!'

ENSURE ACT IS CLOSED

Try recommended settings, and it will detect Windows XP (Service Pack 2) automatically.

Click -  Start the program, and once it's open click Next.

Your program will open, and now click Write.....

BINGO YOU ARE ALL DONE.

Greetings from Australia.

what word processor are you using to view, process and edit the word document. do you have the right operating system and applicable environment.

IT WORKS! It's fixed! It's a miracle!  I have been without the Act wordprocessor now for two years and have always managed to somehow get around having to figure it out myself but your solution is pure Genius!

I wanted to thank you so much that I registered onto the ACT! blog just so I could post this reply.

It's simple, it's elegant, it's easy  AND it works.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you x 1,000,000 times.

You are my current Tech Hero

Hello Mike, you seem to have the answers here!

I am about to (attempt) to install Act v6 2004 onto Windows 7 in safe mode.

I see several posts advising to install my printer in this mode also.

Why is this?

As someone who will never print anything off Act, does this matter? Is this the reason for this advice, so that the user can then print from Act, otherwise they cannot?

Can I not just use my printer in normal mode when needed?

Many thanks.

Highlighted

Some things in ACT! won't work if there's no printer driver installed.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you Roy.

Ok, well I did try to add the printer in safe mode, but I get the error message 'can't add printer, spooler not working'.

Do you know how to get the spooler working in safe mode?

Many thanks.

I don't believe that can be done.

By the way if you insist on using ACT! 6 (IMHO ACT! 16 is much better) then my suggestion is to do what I did to have and ACT! 6 version for supporting upgrades. I installed Virtual Machine software on one system and created an XP virtual machine so that I could install and run ACT! 6 on Windows 7 64-bit OS.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you Roy,
There must be a way to do this.
I believe I have found a freeware tool to fix this issue. We'll see...
Thanks for your help