Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6.0 - Edited Layout and facing consequences

gfc

ACT 6.0 - Edited Layout and facing consequences

Hi,

I'm using ACT 6.0 and I edited the layout to my heart's desire with what the company wanted on the main page. This included editing feilds, deleting some and adding new ones and moving stuff around. I did rename the layout to be the same name as the database though. Yes i did mess around with the core feilds which I later realized I shouldn't have done. I tried to put the core fields back where they were but i don't think it worked (technically). I also deleted the 'library' tab which seems impossible to put back (I don't know how) because I can't export any excel files without the 'library' tab.

Problems I am facing now are :

1. I get this msg on starting up ACT - "An invalid path or filename was specified"

2. A lot of my contacts seem to have lost their phone numbers - eeeeks! Smiley Indifferent (but not all.. so i don't know what happened)

3. Not sure if Sychronization will eventually work as a result.

4. Lost my 'library' tab. I created a new one but there is nothing in it like before.

My questions :

1. How do I get rid of the msg on startup?

2. Can I get the library tab back? (including the layout that was in it)?

3. Is there any way to reset the core fields the way they were? Will I have to re-do the entire layout in order to get things back to normal?

4. In this process will I lose any contact information?

Please help! - Really Really need it. I've been at it all week with barely any result. Thanks.

Ema

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 6.0 - Edited Layout and facing consequences

I would urge you to get help from an ACT! consultant on this issue.  My experience has been it can be easier to start over (if you have a backup of the original ACT files) then to try to figure out what went wrong and to correct it.  To a certain degree, you have many moving parts that you now have to put back together.

Tony Holowitz
John Anthony Group
tony@johnanthonygroup.com

Did you check with the default layout whether all the information are safe. Let me know if you need any more help.

For Uniquestart Technologies.

Thanks & Regards
Uniquestart Technologies
gfc

Hello getmyacttogether and uniquestart,

I know I really need an ACT consultant to help me out with this.. but my employer isn't ready to pay for tech support OR upgrading Smiley Indifferent

I've looked for live help/training but couldn't find anything that is available for free. So i'm really depending on you guys Smiley Sad

I did a "Rebuild the Index files of the database" which i got from the Sage Knowledgebase customer support FAQ's. It did help to get back those extra fields I had deleted/moved. However my 'library' tab still has nothing in it. I don't know how to set the default so that I can get that tab back.

I've also got print outs of some reports such as 'database structure', 'database fields' and 'actdiag'. Umm.. I'm not sure what to do with those reports or how to check what's wrong in it. =|

The start up error msg is still there "An invalid path or filename was specified"

I've read the act guide and the help topics but they don't say anything about such problems.

Any help would be much appreciated. Even if you could give me any link where I could talk/chat with someone to help me out.

Platinum Elite Contributor

From reading through your posts I have a comment:thrashing around the way you are doing has the potential of doing more damage than you've already done. It would not be able to sort out your problems without direct examination of your system. At this point, even uninstalling ACT! 6 and reinstalling and restoring a backup won't necessarily resolve all your problems. Sorry.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
gfc

Hello Roy,

I appreciate your straight up review on my situation. What do you suggest I do? Will getting tech support help me out? Would you be knowing what the minimum cost will be as I'll have to pay it myself!

Thanks.

Ema

Copper Contributor

I agree with Roy...get help, you are swimming in quicksand.
Tony Holowitz
John Anthony Group
tony@johnanthonygroup.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Please check your personal messages in the upper right side of the screen.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129