Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 6.0 Application has stopped working

ACT 6.0 Application has stopped working

We have about 30 users in the building that use the same database, and it has been installed for nearly 11 years now with very few problems. All desktop machines are Win 7 Pro 64-bit. Act is working fine for all users except one. She is a Standard Windows User and when she tries to open ACT she gets the message "Act 6.0 Application has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly" and it requires that she Close the Program. But when I log on to her computer as the admin, ACT opens and works just fine. It only errors when she is trying to log in to it, and she is a Standard Windows User, not a Windows Admin.

So far I have

1) given her full access privileges to the ACT folder in Program Files (X86)

2) Fully uninstalled and reinstalled ACT (twice). The second time I uninstalled it, I ran a registry cleaner to make sure everything was truly uninstalled before rebooting then reinstalling again.

3) Removed any .lck files in the database folder

I don't think this is a database issue since I have 29 other users using it and it runs fine for them. It's just this desktop and it's only when the Standard Windows User is logged on and it's only on that one desktop machine. But again, whenever I log into that same PC as admin, ACT opens and runs fine.

I'm suspecting this is probably being caused by something other than ACT, such as a corrupt ,Net update or something, but I just can't narrow it down. I'm aware 6.0 is no longer supported, but has anyone experienced this before and maybe know what might fix it?

Many thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 6.0 Application has stopped working

ACT! 6 does't use the .NET Framework. You have the answer, it;s related to the Windows login. ACT! 6 was never tested on Windows 7 but on Windows XP the user login needed to be local machine administrator. On Windows 7 you might get away with having ACT! always run as administrator or by disabling the UAC.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the reply. I have to disagree about the windows login requirements because we ran the same ACT 6 on Windows XP Pro machines since we started using ACT in 2004 and not a single user has ever had admin login rights. (It required Admin rights to install, but definitely not to Run it.) And now, I've had ACT 6 running on all these Windows 7 machines since we upgraded to Win7 64-bit over 4 years ago, and again, there isn't a single user in the entire company with Admin login rights except myself. So this is definitely not an error being caused by this particular user not having Windows Admin login, because all of the other approx 30 ACT users login exactly the same way; as a Standard Windows user. And the strange thing is, she's been on the same desktop machine for 4 years now but even it was fine up until around one month ago. The only thing I can think of that changeed on her PC was the usual Windows updates.

Thanks again for the reply. Any other suggestions would sure be appreciated.

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

My best suggestion would be to upgrade to the current version of the ACT! program. As a lead tech on ACT! 6 I was very aware of the many internal problems with ACT! 6. It used many legacy entry points to the Windows operating system that we available but not maintained by Windows. Every so often people would have problems with ACT! 6 that couldn't be fixed short of reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows. I suspect that you have that kind of a problem here.

Have you tried right clicking on the ACT! icon and chosing Rusn as Administroator to see if ACT! will load that way. If it does you can set ACT! on her machine to always run as administrator as a work around.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Super Contributor

I would try running CCleaner and deleting temp files.  If that doesn't work you'll probably need to rebuild her Windows profile.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Thanks Wellmet. Yes, I had the same idea and as I said in my initial post, when uninstalling it the first time and reinstalling it didn't work, I uninstalled it again only this time ran a registry cleaner (cCleaner for 64-bit) then rebooted in hopes all of the old install was completely cleared out. I also went into Program Files and deleted the leftover folder called ACT. In fact I did everything I could to try to eleminate any trace that ACT was ever installed. Then I did a new install and the still got the same results; I could open and run ACT as Admin but the standard user could not. When logged into Windows as the user I could even run it  successfully by using Run As, but that was it. Pretty baffling. My next step before actually reimaging the hard drive is to reinstall from a different copy of ACT. I know it's a long shot.

Thanks again for the replies, from both yourself and from Roy. If/when I make any progress I'll post it here.

Much appreciated!