Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 5 Lock files

ACT 5 Lock files

Hello,

I've got a problem where two people, working from two different workstations want to be able to use the same ACT database at the same time.  Unfortunately, we're finding that when one user is logged in, other users get the message "The database could not be opened because appropriate access rights were denied.  It may be read-only or on a network with limited access." when they try to login as well.  I've been researching the issue in the knowledge base, and have looked into opportunistic locking, but have not been able to resolve the issue yet.  Any ideas?

Thank You.

Re: ACT 5 Lock files

By the way, I was reading that if I give permission to everyone for the lock file, that would give multiple users access.  This sounds like it could be dangerous though - any thoughts?  The users are running ACT 5.0.4.495. 

Thank You

Platinum Elite Contributor

In ACT! go to Help | About ACT! and see if it lists a number of licenses.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

No, it doesn't list licenses.

Then it sounds like the problem may be user permissions to the folder where the ACT! database is located. Full control is required.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hello,

I've looked at all the replies, but nothing is working for me.  I'm using ACT 5.0.4.495.  Also, all the users have full control to the ACT db folder.  I thought I had the problem squared away by changing the permissions on the lock and tl# files to full control for all.  This worked until people logged out, the files were deleted, and new files with old permissions created.  Any other ideas?

Thank You

The lock files will be routinely deleted by the ACT! program when no user is logged into the database.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129