Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 5.0 crashing. Help!

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT! 5.0 crashing. Help!

Hello ACT gurus,

I have ACT 5.0 installed on windows7. Its a 3 gig RAM, 32 bit system. This is a work computer and I am connected to a network. I believe ACT is installed locally.

ACT! keeps crashing every time I open it. I normally have to try to open it 4-5 times before it stays open. I tried running it as an administrator, but it did not work. It runs fine on other computers which have windows XP.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author guywithaproblem
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 5.0 crashing. Help!

You might try waiting an hour before starting ACT! ... maybe something else loading/running early is causing an issue?

Might be worth having a look at Windows Event logs to see if the issue can be identified.

If you are sharing the database, you'll also need to disable Opportunistic Record Locking (especially if some machines are pre Vista). See this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10675

Also see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296264

View solution in original post

All Replies

ACT! 5.0 was never designed for Windows 7 ... so there might be issues that are difficult to fix (if possible at all)

Have you tried running in XP compatibility mode?

How would I do that? Is it possible to run just ACT in XP compatibility? Or do I need to reboot the PC? Also, I do not have administrator privileges

If you don't have admin privileges, this is something you need to take up with your admin

Is your ACT! 5.0 supplied by the business or yours?

Its supplied by the business. But I don't think I am running it off the server. I think I have a localized copy installed.

Its really weird that ACT runs fine after the 5th-6th time I open it and then it has no hiccups for the rest of the day. It just when I start it up in the morning.

Solution
Accepted by topic author guywithaproblem
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

You might try waiting an hour before starting ACT! ... maybe something else loading/running early is causing an issue?

Might be worth having a look at Windows Event logs to see if the issue can be identified.

If you are sharing the database, you'll also need to disable Opportunistic Record Locking (especially if some machines are pre Vista). See this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10675

Also see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296264

I guess I'll have the system admin take a detailed look. This is beyond my technical expertise.

Thank you for all your help. Really appreciate it.

I get the same error message after last week.  Roy was kind enough to offer his suggestion of switching my anti virus programs which I've done by uninstalling Malwarebytes and replacing it with his suggestion of AVG.

I also reinstalled the software from the CD ROM but that also had no effect.

Here's my original exchange with Roy:

Roy,

Here's the situation:  I'm running Windows XP, SP 3 with Act 2000 which has worked well since a friend gave me the software years ago. 

This past week, I changed my anti-virus programs, substituting Malwarebytes' Anti Malware for Lavasoft's Ad Aware.  I had noticed that after the most recent Ad Aware upgrade, my computer slowed considerably.  When I made that change last week, Act 2000 seemed to develop a glitch preventing me from opening any of the databases within.  I don't know if that switch has any bearing on the current problem.

When I attempt to open Act, I get the following error message: "Act 5.0 application has encountered a problem and needs to close."  I'm also asked if I want to send a report to Microsoft within that same error message.

Using the Act Diagnostics Tool, I'm able to see all of the individual databases but none of them will open.  I did run the "Scan and Repair" tool under "Maintenance," which created several Notepad reports.  I also used a quick Anti Malware scan to check Act 2000 but it turned up nothing.

I still have the CD ROM my friend gave me but I'm hesitating to run it/reinstall because I really don't want to lose any of the databases I've created over the years.

If you've got any instructions as to how I can re-open Act, I'm glad to hear them. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Roy's response:

Reinstalling the ACT! program won’t cause any problems with your databases, they are separate from the program. However reinstall should be the last thing tried because I don’t think that’s your problem. When something like this happens after installing a new program, always suspect the new program so I would uninstall the new antivirus program. I did see that problem years ago with a version of the McAfee antivirus program. Don’t just stop the antivirus program, uninstall it. For what it’s worth I’ve used, and many ACCs use, AVG because of its lack of causing system problems.

Roy Laudenslager

I'm still unable to open Act 5.0 at all even after uninstalling my previous anti virus software and installing AVG.

I can't afford to buy the new software; neither can I afford $150/hour charges to troubleshoot this.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestion/instructions how I can get this to work again? I really need to be able to access the databases within.

Thanks in advance.