Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 4.0 Database transfer to ACT! 2012 PPLEASE HELP!!!

ACT! 4.0 Database transfer to ACT! 2012 PPLEASE HELP!!!

I am trying to transfer a database from ACT 4.0 on a computer running Windows XP, to a new computer running Windows 7.  ACT 2012 and cannot seem to get it done.

I tried to do a backup and restore first.  I did a backup to a removeable USB drive.  Then, when I went to restore it on the other computer, I got an error saying the file I am trying to restore is not an ACT backup.

I also tried to do an export from the XP computer, but when I select the location to export to, it will not give me the option to select "next".

Any assistance with this would be so very much appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 4.0 Database transfer to ACT! 2012 PPLEASE HELP!!!

Because ACT! 4 is so old you need to go through a multi-step process. First download the trail version of ACT! 6 and install it on the old system and convert your database to ACT! 6. I would suggest that you temporarily install ACT! 2012 onto the old system and do the conversion to ACT! 2012 there. Then backup the converted ACT! 2012 database and move that to the new system and use the Restor As option.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Tmingo,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

The backup made in V4 isn't the same type of backup used in later versions of ACT! (2005 and later), that's why you got the message about it not being an ACT! backup.

You can still use that backup, but will need to follow these steps:

- create a folder on the local hard drive (ex: C:\V4Database) and copy the backup file into it.

- extract the files from the backup (generally done by: right click on file and select 'Extract here')

- in Sage ACT! 2012, you will now open the V4 database using the 'DBF' file.  

For detailed instructions on opening the database in ACT! 2012, see this article: KB Article 28596

Note: It is highly recommended that you perform the maintenance on the database in V4 before attempting to convert it.  The instructions are within the article.

Greg Martin
Sage

I am so excited!  I was able to extract the files and convert databased, and all contacts are there.  Thanks so much to both of you for your assistance in getting this resolved.

Have a WONDERFUL day!!!