Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2004 6.03 to 2014

Copper Contributor

ACT 2004 6.03 to 2014

Just bought 2014 and wondering if I need to do anything special before install ACT 2014.  Will their be any issues importing from my  2004 database?  Anything else I need to know?  Thanks

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 2004 6.03 to 2014

Forgot to post that I was using XP and just bought new computer with Windows 7 Professional.  Thanks 

Did you have any issues doing this?  I need tp update myself...

Bronze Contributor

Clear out as many open activities as possible - ie ones that are past.  Clear out any old reminders.  Look for history dates that are prior to 1900 and change them to more current dates.  People used to put in bogus dates so items would show up at the top of the history or notes section.  Do not have duplicate group names.  New ACT doesn't like them.  Check your database for items flagged as Unknown user.  If there are a lot that can make ACT barf when upgrading.

Acitvities and histories are the items that typically make a conversion fail.

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Copper Contributor

Beware of the different handling/usability of Contact Notes in new Act! versions as compared to V6.   If Notes are important to your group you'll need to check out the crappy new way they are dealt with.  For our group this was a fatal flaw the software v16, so we remained at v6.     Other less important gotcha's exist, but Notes was the deal breaker.

PCFlyer, Are you still using XP then for V6?

Copper Contributor

We're using Windows 7 Professional 64.       The issues with the v16 Contact Notes is not OS specific, its simply a poor programming design decision.  A fatal flaw in the software. 

I thought XP was the last OS I could use for V6. I'm happy with V6 for my personal needs and would continue to use it if possible. I didn't realize that was still a possiblity?
Copper Contributor

We spent a couple of days evaluating the conversion process, not too bad.   But the Notes issues are a no-go deal breaker for our end-users.   And I agree with them 100%.    

From our pretty thorough evaluation, its our conclusion that the newer versions of Act! shows too many signs of really lousy programming and poor design decisions.   Likely cause is too many programmers on their staff coming and going each with their own unsupervised crappy coding skills.     If you look at the SQL database objects, tables and fields, the clutter and disorganization is obvious.   Act v16 is a mess.    That said, we were still going to get it a go until the Notes issues became apparent.

For us it's time to find a Act replacement, we're searching for a similiar but newer developed system without the years of programming baggage that Act has now become. 

Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

New Users or Anyone planning on updating their ACT! databases should review the ACT! Knowledgebase for best practices on desired task and for ACT! error messages. For dealing with specifc data/import/conversion needs, recommend checking out the ACT! add-ons for your specific version of ACT!. Such as Oakmerge or IT Import? or Import IT? for any unique concerns regarding Notes/Histories etc.. Manually check for ACT! Hotfix updates from the the ACT! website download center(Not from your ACT! software).

Use the ACT!  website support resource pages first and your ACT! experience may be much more positive. It's really easy to navigate and very comprehensive with specific information layed out in a way that the average ACT! beginner can use.  Perhaps the soon-to-be-released service pack1 for v16 will resolve this issue? 

I recently had act6 and v16pro installed on same vista pro pc and v16 updated my v6 database just fine. It contained 77,000 contacts.

The v6 database was highly customized with many fields. Don't recall specifics except that I was successful. I had ACT!v16 installed, then installed actv6 with the target conversion v6 db.  I may have taken a zip backup of my ACT!v6 db and performed File / Restore As on act! v16?

Consult the knowledge to confirm this procedure.

Reference kb article http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36099/kw/update%20v6%20to%20v16  

More Info

ACT!v16 System Requiremenets
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36092/kw/install%20act%202014

How to install Act! Pro v16
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36103/kw/how%20to%20install%20act!%20pro%202014

ACT!v6 was pretty solid in it's day, but does not compare to the power of the new v16 by Swiftpage.

Hope this helps. Cheers - FSB Smiley Happy

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html