Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2004, 6.0

ACT 2004, 6.0

Forgive my ignorance. I have never used ACT before but need it for a new client base. I purchased the 2004 version

because it was the cheapest (online) I dont have a disk, it was just a direct link. I have downloaded it, but cannot

register it b/c it is out of date.Do I need to have had a previous version to use this or do I need to update it

to the 2010 version? Obviosuly having to use 2010 would defeat the purpose of having bought the 2004 version!

Thanks

Bronze Contributor

Re: ACT 2004, 6.0

Odds are that you've been sold an illegal and re-re-re-re-used license number - kind of like selling the Brooklyn Bridge over and over.  Since they didn't actually have to send you anything like a CD or manual, their costs were zero.  As you've discovered, you've bought a 7+ year old version, that is now 7 versions back.  It's not supported on Windows Vista or Windows 7 and it doesn't support Office 2007.

Does the download link work?  I ask because I don't believe there are any legitimate download sites anymore for such an old version.

Whether or not you need a previous version is somewhat moot at this point.

I would recommend discarding it, and buying ACT! 2010 - the real thing, including a box and DVD, from an online or a brick-and-morter retailer.

Signature

Hello,

Yes I was able to download it. However it asks to be registered which is where the hold

up seems to be.

M

Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! 6 didn't require registration and the web site for registration was shut down a long time ago. To amplify what Kevin had to say. the copy you have is likely a pirate copy and as such is illegal. I've also heard many horror stories regarding so called OEM copies of software.  Because they are pirate copies, they are often used as trogans for viruses and other malware. My personal advice for what it's worth, write off the $40 you paid as a lesson and, if you have access to Costco, check for ACT! 2010 there. I understand they are selling ACT! 2010 standard for little more than you paid for your antique copy of the ACT! program
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

ok. Thank u very much

M

Hi again,

Well I got the 2004 version from  a friend. The actual disc. I downloaded it. NOW I inserted her database disc

of contacts into my computer. I am trying to convert that client database to the 2004 version she gave me

to no avail. Thanks

M