Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2000 issues with email field

ACT 2000 issues with email field

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, I'm trying to help a co-worker export his contacts from ACT (version 5.0.3.47 on Windows 7 or XP I believe) and we've run into two problems:

1. He had emails listed for almost all of his contacts, but only a few show up in contact reports/lists/directories. When I looked into it, I noticed that the few that do show up have the email entered as their primary email, but the ones that don't show are only in the email field, they are not listed as their primary email addresses. Do primary email addresses have to be entered in separately, or are they supposed to be linked to the email field? If so, why wouldn't it be working?

2. While trying to fix this, he seems to have deleted all of the emails in the email field. He was messing around in the layout developer and clicked "cut" on the email field, then added the field back in through "add new field." Now the emails he had stored in there previously do not show up anywhere. Are they gone forever? 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2000 issues with email field

The E-mail "field" that you see in the layout is not a field in the main database table but rather a portal to the separate E-mail table. That is why E-mail is not available as a data type and why you can't sort by e-mail address or use E-mail in the duplicate checking. The E-mail table can hold more than one E-mail address for a user but only the default address can be used for addressing an e-mail message.

This information should help.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: ACT 2000 issues with email field

So to get the email addresses to show in lists/directories/reports, it must be entered as their primary email under the "contact" menu?

Do you know how to recover the emails we might have lost when changing the layout?

Thank you!