Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2000! and Windows 7

ACT 2000! and Windows 7

We have installed ACT 2000! on our new Windows 7 32-bit systems without any problems.  After the installation, we ran into the following issues:

Already documented was Office 2010 not being compatible as a word processor.  I converted our fax cover sheet over to the ACT word processor, which works fine.  However, the user has to have admin rights on the PC in order for it to work.  Using the "run as administrator" option works, but it then requires the admin password.  Our users are power users on the desktop, so not a feasible work around.  Research on Microsoft's site doesn't come up with any way to embed that information in the startup and only yields shutting down UAC, which is just as unworkable.

Prior to Windows 7, we had the database on the Netware server with multiple logins and generally 4 people were in the database at one time.  Windows 7 will never load the network database if somebody else is using it.  In testing, as soon as the current user exits, the next user can login.  We have had to redesign our "sharing" system.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2000! and Windows 7

[ Edited ]

Hello cnelson,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Usually disabling UAC (which most users find to be more of a hindrance than a help) will resolve access issues in Windows 7 and Windows Vista. When you say doing this is "unworkable", does that mean it did not resolve the issue or it is something you do not want to do?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Yes, unworkable as in something we do not want to do.

You don't need to be an Admin, but you need Admin rights to specific registry keys... post the error you get and it might remind me which keys to set

And, what error do you get when a 2nd user tries to access the shared db?

You also need to turn off Opportunistic Record locking on server and workstations for ACT! 2000

I did some quick research on opportunistic locking and it appears there are limitations to disabling opportunistic locking on the later server editions and Vista and Windows 7. If true then ACT! 6 and before must be considered totally incompatible with the later Windows operating systems.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

ACT! 5/6 were written LONG before Vist/Win7 ... so, not surprising.

From memory, it's the server that's most important... there's a KB on disabling OpsLocks on the old versions of Netware, but not sure about current versions based on Linux.

What limitations did you find?

Mike

what I found was here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296264

I didn't try to digest the whole thing but where they were discussing SMB1 and SMB2 looked critical.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I wonder if a 16bit app, like ACT! 5/6, would use SMB2?
I haven't heard of users on Vista/W7 with ACT! 5/6 posting about the corruption that OpsLocks causes.

Don't think anyone would pay me for the time to research this... I remember the time Lattee Brown, Duane Anderson and I put in testing with ACT! 4.0 to find why some dbs got damaged so easily before we found GoldMine, QuickBooks and Access users had similar issues ... finally found it was the W95 NIC Redir and OpsLocks

When our Power Users attempt to use the Write feature of ACT 2000!, they get the message "failes to connect to word processor: act word processor" and behind that window is the message "wp driver is not running"

As for the multiple logins, if one user is logged into the shared database (software on workstation, database on network), it loads about 11% and then stops.  No error message.  Just never finishes the load.

Thanks.