Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2000 Missing Sync Fields with Blackberry

ACT 2000 Missing Sync Fields with Blackberry

I have an ACT 2000 database. When it syncs with my Blackberry 7130e, the sync randomly misses the cell phone field. I've sync directly from the hard drive, and the server. Same problem. The field mapping is correct. Again, this is a random problem: some contacts receive the cell #, some don't. Thoughts? Fixes??
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 2000 Missing Sync Fields with Blackberry

RiottGirl: We never sync w. the native Blackberry Desktop Manager. Too many issues with calendars, especially multi-user environments. WE recommend using www.companionlink.com Get Companionlink Express for $50.00 - It includes free phone support. Also, you get a discount when checking out. Use code MM3133 for a 10% coupon.

I have an HP iPAQ pocket PC.  I am not happy with the pocket PC software as it does not hold enough Act fields (like secondary contacts).  Will this software you recommend for the Blackberry also be effective with the pocket PC?

Thanks!
Platinum Elite Contributor

DavidC - I don't think any sync product will bring over Secondary Contacts.

I personally recommend Handheld Contact to sync ACT! to Blackberry or Windows Mobile devices... it sends more ACT! data than any other PDA sync software and more of the ACT! experience.

Handheld Contact may be a beautiful solution but it costs MORE than ACT! Ridiculous, and NOT a solution. Companion Link really screwed up my records. When I update a record on the phone, the next time I sync it will add the name to ACT and DELETE the phone number. It does this every time. They are telling me I have a corrupt database. Well who corrupted it? I have received a lengthy email with a number of steps I need to take to address the issue. I am not optimistic, and I really am too busy to take a few hours to do this. New problem today, the ACT email crashed (NOT a new problem, happens frequently) but this time it erased all of my stored messages in my inbox and the two key folders that store correspondence about two major projects I'm working on. It apparently is all gone -- where did it go? The program is flawed and ACT apparently doesn't care. Upgrades that FIX the problems should be free. I will not be paying anything else in the hopes of fixing this. I have contacted Companion Link, I have posted in forums here, I have emailed "technical support" (which apparently doesn't exist because I have never received a response). My only alternative is to post a warning here. BEWARE of ACT. It is unstable and you WILL lose your data if you try to sync with a Blackberry.

How is it "NOT a solution"?

It works, and at less than a dollar a day, I have found it's worth the investment

It is NOT a solution because it addresses a problem that should be solved by ACT itself. Shouldn't the industry leader provide a way to connect with the leading smartphone platforms, i.e. Windows, Palm, and Blackberry? Why should our actual cost for this functionality be more than the cost of the program itself?

Many of the add-ons are more expensive than ACT! - I guess that the volume of ACT! sales keeps that price down.

I find it's best not to look at the simple cost, but to look at the value the solution provides to you. I now spend more time in HHC than in ACT!, so the value it gives is easy to justify.

The HHC guys are also really great with their support which means I spend less time worrying about problems and more time working.

I know when symantec did versions for PDA (Newton, CE, etc), the R&D of keeping it up-to-date as the PDAs changed OS versions was far more than that for the main product. This might explain the costs of HHC.

I will give ACT credit for attempting to fix my problems. As a result of my posts in these forums, a representative from ACT called me and helped my get back my lost emails, and took care of the registration message on startup. I would love to report that this solves my problems, but the email module has crashed again since that conversation and there is still no affordable solution for getting ACT data to my Blackberry. Again, I thank the people at ACT for their attempt to help.

Riotgirl,

I am having the exact same problem with ACT 2000 and Blackberry DM 4.2, so I "up"graded to 4.7... what a disaster!

4.7 does not even have an intellisync button, configuration, or link to the act dbf.

The obscene-ly expensive HHM and other (obviously high commission) options discussed in this thread are unworkable for normal people.

Were you ever able to find a solution?

John