Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2000 Database Hangs, Fatal Error

ACT! 2000 Database Hangs, Fatal Error

I've been running ACT 5.0.4 on a Win XP SP3 laptop with Office 2007 for several months, suddenly I am unable to open any existing databases or create a new one.  The operation hangs and I get the fatal error message that "ACT! 5.0 has encountered a problem and needs to close..."  I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled ACT! and it still hangs when the ap tries to open a database. I tried a second laptop with similar configuration and the same thing.  I've successfully tested the databases on a desktop running Win XP SP3 and Office 2000/2003.  Anyone know what's clobbering the database?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2000 Database Hangs, Fatal Error

What antivirus program are you using?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Trend Micro Worry Free Client.  The only change would've been a virus definition update.  Been running it for over a year.

For what it's worth, I'm no fan of Trend Micro. To eliminate that as a possibility, do a selective startup with Trend Micro excluded (simply turning it off won't help) and see if that makes a difference with ACT! 2000.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

There were some Windows and Office updates that were rolled out by Microsoft that have caused issues for some users... one of these may be the cause.

You could try and look at the Windows Event log when it happens to see if there is an error with more detail

This is known to happen if the PC system date is set to 2038 or higher... you could check that. One of the MS updates last month changed the date/time calculations in Windows and caused issues for a few older products. You could try uninstalling it