Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2000 - ACT 5, suddenly will not open

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT 2000 - ACT 5, suddenly will not open

Running Act 2000 on Windows 7 64 bit - no problems with this since I've been doing it these last 5 years.

Suddenly for no apparent reason I get the following message when trying to open ACT

"The database you are trying to open is not an ACT database.  To use this database in ACT, you need to import the data by following the onscreen instructions in the Import Wizard.  Do you want to continue?"

When I click yes, the system says "ACT 5.0  application has stopped working - Windows is checking for a solution to the problem"   followed by "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is avvailable"

Needless to say, no 'solution' is forthcoming.

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall and I've tried running the fixit compatibility tool, all to no avail.

I have my databases saved in zip format but cannot open them because I cannot open ACT - any help very gratefully received.  There is data I must have access to so, for me, this is an urgent situation.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author plato-gb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2000 - ACT 5, suddenly will not open

I'm not surprised that the Windows update could be the cause. ACT! 3-6 used many entries to the operating system that were older and considered legacy by Microsoft. They didn't remove access but they stopped supporting them. My guess is a recent change disabled one or more of those legacy entry points that ACT! used. the good news is that if you upgrade to the current ACT! version you will be able to convert your database to the new format without any loss of data. That's my best suggestion.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

I consider running ACT! 6 on Windows 7 very risky even if it has been working. I can give you some troubleshooting tips but beyond that, short of upgrading to the current version of the ACT! program, you're pretty mush on your own.

Go to Start - Run and launch ACTDiag. this is an ACT! diagnostic utility. In the Resets choose Last/Default database.

Close ACTDiag and try to launch the ACT! program. It should open to the blank ACT! screen without any database. If it doesn't open then there is a conflict with Windows or some other program. If it does open, try opening the ACTdemo database. If it opens then the problem is with the database (your's) you were trying to open. If it doesn't then the problem is a conflict with Windows or another program.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you so much for the quick response Roy.  I did as instructed - the demo database would not open so, if I understood your comments correctly; it means there is a programme conflict.

I think it may be something to do with the latest group of WIndows 7 updates.

Although I have tried to restore the computer to an earler date, system restore is not working correctly on my machine - 1st time this has happened.

I have also tried installing ACT on another machine running Windows 7 pro and had the same problem.

Where do I go from here?  I really need to recover the data.

Thanks for your help.

All the best

Solution
Accepted by topic author plato-gb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

I'm not surprised that the Windows update could be the cause. ACT! 3-6 used many entries to the operating system that were older and considered legacy by Microsoft. They didn't remove access but they stopped supporting them. My guess is a recent change disabled one or more of those legacy entry points that ACT! used. the good news is that if you upgrade to the current ACT! version you will be able to convert your database to the new format without any loss of data. That's my best suggestion.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy - appreciate your continuing input.

Before I buy the 'latest' ACT software, there are some questoins I would need answers to.

1. Can I restore my existing databases from the zip format they are stored in onto the new system without losing any data/field layout etc?

2. Is the single licence valid for more than one computer? - ie if I need to install on my main and on a second machine can I do this with a single licence?

Thanks for your help.

Roy, looks like you're right - upgrade is the way forward.

Got in touch with Preact in the UK and they've given me a 30 day trial and reconfigured my old database onto the new system which I was finding impossible to do.

I'll post progress reports.

Thanks for your help and advice.

All the best,

plato-gb

I was going to answer your questions but you have some of the answers already. As to installs, ACT! is licensed to the user not to the machine and the first three activations won't be questioned so you can have it installed on two separate machines without any problems.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy - thanks for your comments.  Another question before I confirm purchase of what is quite an expensive software package; what is the deal on updating for someone who buys the new software?  ie for how long is Act committed to keeping your softward up to date and what position is a user in when Act brings out the next version?

Thanks for your response.

Regards,

plato-gb

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer but Swiftpage/ACT! is in the process of making policy changes for upgrades. The best I can offer is I assume that you're a single user of the ACT! program/ If that's the case The ACT! pro version should be what you need. It's lower cost than the premium version which mainly adds additional security needed for a multi-user enviroment

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129