Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2.0 and Windows 7

ACT! 2.0 and Windows 7

I've never had a reason to upgrade from Version 2 of Act! for Windows (although I did purchase and still have ACT! 2005).

One thing I've liked about it is that I was just able to copy the directory over to new computers over the years, without needing to do a reinstall.  It has worked fine all the way through Vista.

Now I have a Windows 7 computer and it won't open.  (Again, I've just copied over the directory)

Is there a workaround? (Other than installing ACT! 2005 and converting my database--I assume that version will work with Windows 7).

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2.0 and Windows 7

I doubt anyone would have tried this or be able to help you.

No, ACT! 2005 can't run on Windows 7. You need ACT! 2010 for Windows 7 support.

Ok, thanks.

I'm retired now, so don't use the program to keep track of my clients regularly--I just hate to lose all of the contact information for thousands of folks. I don't really want to pay for an upgrade for something like this.

Do you know of any "open source" contact managers I can export to?

Thanks in advance.

Copper Elite Contributor

I thought ACT! 5/2000 needed a patch to run on XP and ACT! 2007 needs a patch

to run on Vista but if your copy of ACT! 2 runs on Vista then setup a virtual machine. 

You can download Virtualbox for free and install your favorite pre-Windows 7 operating

system into that virtual machine and run ACT! 2 on that.  If you need an old copy of

Windows i'm sure someone has a copy on e-Bay.

Ok.  Thanks!

Like you I have been using ACT! 2.08 for years and have thousands of contacts. It runs fine under XP but I need to upgrade computers. I tried installing it under Win7 with no sucess. How did the suggested workaround work for you?

Platinum Elite Contributor

I doubt there is any real good answer for you. Windows XP was the last version where Microsoft tried to maintain all the legacy entry points to the operating system. About the only way you could run ACT! 2.0.8 on a Windows 7 machine would be to use virtual machine software (( I use VMWare) to set up a virtual machine then install the Windows XP operating system and then the ACT! program. 

The other option would be to upgrade to the current version of the ACT! program. However that would be a multistep process and would also involve using a virtual machine on Windows 7 ordoing part of the conversion process on your old machine. Typically the first step would be to convert your databse to ACT! 6 but this present a problem with any word processor template or saved word processor documents. ACT! 6 doesn't have the conversion for the ACT! 2 word processor documents. That was available only in ACT! 3 and 4 and each document have to be converted and saved separately.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129