Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

A Different ACT!2000 User and Question

A Different ACT!2000 User and Question

My wife uses ACT!2000 on XP and it worked fine until last week.  Now it won't reinstall for various reasons - Error messages says ComponentMoveData Had following error - Media Name DAT  - Component d:\...Binroot\Always Overwrite  -  Bin\qa.flt... Error Number -117.  I think it has listed other files besides qa.flt on other attemtps.

My biggest concern though is this, I was able to find the .dbf file with her contacts but when I import them onto another computer that I installed ACT!2000, the Notes/History does not show up.  She really needs the notes/history (not bad enough to backup the info I guess).  Is there a way to open a file in another program to be able to see those notes?  Does anyone know what file houses these notes?  The best solution would be if I could import them into ACT!2000 program that does work on the other computer.  At some point reloading ACT!2000 back on her machine would be icing on the cake or another version of ACT.  Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: A Different ACT!2000 User and Question

The ACT! 2000 database was composed of 21 separate files. The DBF file only had the name and address information.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks for the quick reply.  Is there any way to get the notes/history onto the other machine I have that has Act!2000 loaded onto it?
Platinum Elite Contributor

actmark wrote:

My wife uses ACT!2000 on XP and it worked fine until last week.  Now it won't reinstall for various reasons - Error messages says ComponentMoveData Had following error - Media Name DAT  - Component d:\...Binroot\Always Overwrite  -  Bin\qa.flt... Error Number -117.  I think it has listed other files besides qa.flt on other attemtps.

Might be a damaged CD as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1194...

Can you copy the CD to a folder (C:\ACTINST) on your PC and try to install from there

My biggest concern though is this, I was able to find the .dbf file with her contacts but when I import them onto another computer that I installed ACT!2000, the Notes/History does not show up.  She really needs the notes/history (not bad enough to backup the info I guess).  Is there a way to open a file in another program to be able to see those notes?  Does anyone know what file houses these notes?  The best solution would be if I could import them into ACT!2000 program that does work on the other computer.  At some point reloading ACT!2000 back on her machine would be icing on the cake or another version of ACT.  Thanks.

You need all the files in the database folder starting with the same name as the DBF. If the database is customised, you may also need the files in the Layouts folder

Thanks Roy and Mike.  I appreciate the help.