Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

6.0.3 Macros on Win 7 ?

Copper Contributor

6.0.3 Macros on Win 7 ?

Everything Act! on my new Windows 7 64 PC works great,  except  Macros...

When I try to create new basic new macro, error is "Recording could not be started"

When I try to run an existing basic macro, error is "Playback could not be started"

How are you guys getting macros to work on Windows 7?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: 6.0.3 Macros on Win 7 ?

If they won't work I don't believe it will be possible. The ACT! 3-6 macros were very much like the old Windows macro recorder and likely used DLLs from that capability. Windows 7 has dropped a significant amount of the legacy support form old features and I suspect that support for the Windows macros was one of those things. ACT! 7 and later eliminated any support for macros.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hello Roy,

I have a similar issue. I have a couple of pretty extensive visual basic macros that operate on my ACT! 2000 database. And it appears I cannot run this version on Windows 7 so I am looking at what to do. In a perfect world I could somehow convert the visual basic programs to operate with ACT! 2013 (which I am starting to play with the trial version). These vb programs do a lot of date and time comparisons to properly place classes on the calendar. (This is for a Mad Science franchise where we "book" classes, parties, workshops, special events, etc.) So there's a grid of custom fields that gets analyzed and then the events get scheduled.

I inherited the vb programs but have been relatively effective at tweaking them to eek out even more coded info to appear in the "regarding" line on the calendar.

Anyway, I believe these scripts deal with a different database structure than that used for ACT! 2013 so I'm sure they don't just plug and play. What kind of recommendation can you make?

I'd be happy to send an example of the code to you.

Thanks,

Dr. Proton

Mad Science

Platinum Elite Contributor

I'm going to be very blunt, quit living in the past and quit wasting your time. From what you're describing I would suggest that you look at a custom table addon for ACT! 2013 or ACT! 16. I've done most of my custom table work with Topline Designer which has a built in scripting capability. The other alternative would be the one from Durkin  Computing which has similar capabilities. Either one allows you to add custom one-to-many tables to the ACT! database. 

Feel free to contact me directly via a personal message.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you! That helps a lot.

Regards

Roy,

We got ACT 6. The macros have been working for more than two years, we all have Win 7 Pro 64 bit. They work in all PCs except one. I have copied them from my local drive into the problem PC and still  does not work. I get the "Could not start playback" message.

Attached is one the macros that don't work.

Roy,
Me again, another voice from the past. I want to escape from the past but the owner is afraid of switching from ACT 6.03.979 to the last version of of ACT.
We have lots, I mean lots, 20 years + of customers information in the notes. I heard that that would be a problem to switch. What would be the way to bring the notes to the future? What would be the safe way to bring all that valuable info into a newer version of ACT?

David J

Copper Contributor

"Notes" from ACT 6.x

Back in April of 2014 we tried to upgrade without success.  I think Act was called ACT! Premium v16 back then.

Big issue #1:  Notes.   No more than 7 lines visible per Note means our users can't SKIM thru the Notes quickly & easily.    We have Notes for clients and customer going back many years, every phone call and email contact gets a Note for us in Act.   We manage our customer relations thru the Notes., especially when a client telephones in, we quickly SKIM the notes.     Only 7 lines visible per Note is a huge negative compared to how older version Act! handled Notes.   This was a deal breaker for our group.    We'll continue to use Act! v6.0

See thread:  https://community.act.com/t5/Act-Premium/Can-I-make-the-NOTES-area-show-more-then-7-rows-per-entry-o...

We are still using ACT 6.x because of the Notes.  Do you know if the newest Act versions of Act can now make the NOTES area show more then 7 rows per entry on this screen?

Thanks. 

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]
Hi
We have Macros working on 5 PCs Windows 7 64bit.
Macros created on XP and one new macro on W7 PC
The Macros were created in Act! v6