Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

1st Post - Be Kind! Please Help; Attachments Issue.

Copper Contributor

1st Post - Be Kind! Please Help; Attachments Issue.

[ Edited ]

Hi all, This is my 1st post in your wonderful community. I've looked in over the years and been grateful for the tips I've found. I recently made the decision to stick with ACT! v6.0.3.979 (reasons below) for the long term so thought it would be apt to join the forums here. I have come to you needing some help. I'm reasonably adept in making ACT!6 do my bidding but I'm no expert like you guys. I can't seem to fix this particular issue or find a resolution for it. I'm on a stand-alone machine, no networking.

I recently ditched my XP 'puter and got a new super machine with Win7 Pro 64bit and to my absolute delight got ACT!6 working perfectly (well not quite - more in a minute!). I simply took the advice of this forum and used the alternate exe file in the root dir on the installationCD. Worked like a charm - incredible!. I really didn't want to use XP mode if I didn't need to and the community here came through for me again!

I very seriously considered upgrading to ACT 2011, 2012 and more recently 2013. I even installed 2013 and attempted the upgrade. None of my customizations (esp the GUI) came through and I was looking at 100's of hours of work on ACT!6 customizations lost. I stayed with ACT!6 as it was not broken and STILL, after all these years, managed my clients for me as well as it did in 2005!  Now, I love the newest and shinest as much as the next bloke but If it ain't broke . . .

Here's my problem now:

• when I upgraded to Win7 I lost all my ability to access the attachments I had previously used with each client. This is what I'd like to fix right now.

•  I don't have ACT!6 tied to a word processor or even to Outlook so I don't have those complexities to worry about. I use it as a stand-alone database and do some occasional manual email marketing for my home based consultancy.

• I can access the actual attachments manually but not by clicking on them in the notes section of ACT. In other words I've lost the previous link-ability to them.  I have 100's of attachments.

• All attachments for all of my clients have always been held together in the same single folder - so only one folder path for all attachments. 

• Even though the Win7 install went perfectly and all new attachments link perfectly based on the new Win7 folder structure, the old ones aren't recognized by ACT!6. I have put this down to different folder/path structure I'm using now.

• The old path from XP still displays in the ACT!6 notes section in the attachment column. 

• The different attachment path I am now using is the one I want to use going forward.

• I've set all the new data folders (database, documents, template etc) up on a separate partition away from C: and want to keep them there all together in one 'ACT V6 Data' folder. This is a completely different folder path compared to the one I had in XP using 'My Documents'. If I created some hybrid messy folder structure resembling the one I used in XP then no doubt the old attachments would be recognized but I'd like to keep it clean and don't want to mess things up like that.

• I bought the  Migration Wizard last night ($29.95) but that doesn't want to know about Win7 and wouldn't load. Happily a refund is currently happening for me. I'm now thinking of Oak!Check! but not sure if it will like Win7-64bit (anyone know?)

So, short of going to XP mode do I have any options to restore these attachment links?

• Is there a registry tweak to somehow emulate what the Attachment Migration Wizard does? This is just a one time thing I need done for my future with the Win7 folder structure.

• Is there someway of prompting or shocking ACT!6 into recognizing all my old attachments, which are in the same folder as the new ones I will add, going forward?

•   I'm after a way to update the links 'en-masse' rather than one-by-one manually of course.

Please let me know if I have rambled too much or if anything is unclear.

As a 'one man band' business I'm new at forums (not just this one!) so I'll probably need some coaching on how to write shorter posts! Smiley LOL

Any help would be very, very much appreciated. Thank-you, -Brian.

P.S: Did you know that ACTDIAG doesn't work on Win7!!  Anyone found a replacement for checking our precious data?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: 1st Post - Be Kind! Please Help; Attachments Issue.

It's not a "registry tweak" the data is in the database.

I usually use Oak!Check! to make these changes
http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/18/2
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]
Copper Contributor

Thanks for being my first 'respondee' Mike!  Smiley Happy

I'll download that Oak!Check! as a trial and see if it plays nice with Win7. Stranger things have happened . . .

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

AN UPDATE - for anyone who may be interested in a SOLUTION I FOUND to my previous post.

I have completely sorted the attachments issue!

You'll remember I upgraded from XP to Win7 and all the attachment paths were different as the folder structures are all different in Win7. Anyway, an 'off the shelf' product was the answer, believe it or not. It is called Oak!Check! v6 and it was written specially for ACT!6 way back when. It comes with all the nuclear warnings that it hasn't been tested past XP and 2004. Load it up and the install to Win7 64-bit couldn't go smoother. No tricks or hoops to jump through - just run the standar installer and not even a warning or error message anywhere. You'd swear you were installing direct to XP it went that well. It runs like a charm and completely sorts out not only the attachment paths automatically but a host of other functionalities too. it even has UNDELETE for contacts!

I'm currently playing with the trial version which allows 50 startups of the program and 5 contacts can be altered at a time. I'll buy the full version next week. It is a no-frills program - not pretty at all - but does exactly what it says it will do. What more could you possibly ask form from a decade plus old program?!  A great investment for a self-confessed long term ACT!6 user.

So, I'm about to be $149 lighter but I've now a tool to fix a host of potential future issues with my ACT!6.

Cheers all - Brian.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

Whilst I'm a little disappointed that I haven't had the response from the forum I was anticipating, I do have to thank Mike for his interest and 'extracaricular' emails to me on this post. I find it hard to fathom that not more people would have had this particular issue before, given the high number of ACT!6 devotees on this site and around the world! My disappointment was relatively short-lived as I found a surprising, compelling and complete SOLUTION to my problem!

I offer the following as information/help to anyone who has a similar problem re-linking attachments after a move to a new computer or operating system. The following is part of an email I recently sent back to Mike , I'm sure he has no worries about me using it here:-

"I got Oak!Check! working perfectly just like its creator intended all those years ago when ACT!6 was shiny and new!

It is running on my Win7 Pro 64-bit system along side ACT!6 and installed without a hitch using the normal install routine. No one was more amazed than I, especially after the 'Migration Wizard' I also bought crashed and burned. 

Anyway, Oak!Check! did  the job - realigned/re-established and fully reported wonderfully on all the bad attachment links and the corrected paths it 'corrected' for me. Truly amazing and, looking at the work it has done for me, I realise I simply could not have done it manually (NO WAY!) even though I seriously considered it in my darkest hour! I was so depressed at one point I even considered an upgrade to ACT!2013 . . . :-))

. . . . . this prog really is amazing for reasons I couldn't have known prior to buying it ($149). I didn't realize exactly how many 'old' attachment paths I had used on my old XP system (over the years). Before I realized the importance of using a central single repository for all client attachments I was storing things all over the place. Oak!Check! found 10 old attachment paths being used for over 800 clients. I had originally thought there may be 2 or 3 paths at the most. The Oak!Check! reports set me straight on that little misconception!

So, I'm extremely happy with Oak!Check! and I can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone with ATC!6 on a new system. I know now that sometimes we can expect miracles!

Thanks and regards, Brian".