Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

w3wp.exe taking over 1 gb of RAM

Tuned Listener

w3wp.exe taking over 1 gb of RAM

(ACT! 2010 Premium for Web, v12.1 hotfix 1)

We're having an issue with the w3wp.exe application. It's sucking up tons of RAM. When we end the program and it restarts it'll start out at 20mb but within an hour it's up to 900mb. The highest we've seen it is 1.3 gigs. The service is part of ISS but doesn't normally run so high.

A call in to support suggests that it's due to an attached email, larger than 5mb, which the server is declining to accept. However the client continually sends it after being declined and the ram used to decline the attempt never gets released back to the server. It's basically an un-ending loop. 

Support's suggest was to clear all users history que's. We only have 6 users so it's not that big of a deal. But this is definitely something we can't be doing on a constant basis. Any other suggestions?

-Marshall Hayes

Marshall Hayes
ACT! Certified Consultant
Hayes Consulting LLC
www.HayesConsultingOnline.com
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: w3wp.exe taking over 1 gb of RAM

Hello Marshall,

Have you looked at kb#24735 I have included it in a link below, Also I would download and apply hot fix 2, there were changes in the hot fix that dealt with the history Queue issue, I have also included a link of where you can download the hot fix

KB#24735 http://tinyurl.com/3xmwdgs

Hot FIx 2 Download http://tinyurl.com/359zl6k

Hope this helps

Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005
Tuned Listener

Re: w3wp.exe taking over 1 gb of RAM

Thanks for the thorough response! I'll get hotfix 2 applied right away. I've read over the KB article previously but will re-read it again after applying HotFix 2, assuming things aren't working smoothly.

Thanks again for your support.

-Marshall Hayes

Marshall Hayes
ACT! Certified Consultant
Hayes Consulting LLC
www.HayesConsultingOnline.com