Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

w3wp.exe is running at 99%

w3wp.exe is running at 99%

My CPU is pegged at 100% because w3wp.exe is running at 99% . I beleive it has to do with IIS, but I cannot find any info on it.  If I restart my system it will slow down for a while, then go back to 99%.  Can I kill this service?

Celia Alfano

Re: w3wp.exe is running at 99%

Celia,

Yes, w3wp.exe is the IIS process.  Are you running ACT! for Web or ACT! internet sync service on the machine?  Are any other applications using IIS?

Nickel Super Contributor

If you are running Windows Server 2003, take a look at the following Microsoft kb article.

The W3wp.exe process consumes up to 99 percent of the CPU resources every several minutes on a Windo...

Also, here is some more info on the process.

w3wp.exe description

I am only running ACT Premium for web on that server, no other applications or services that use IIS.  My O/S is Windows Server 2003 Web Edition. If you restart the server or do an iisreset, then I am good for a few days. 

I contacted ACT support, they told me I should try reinstalling IIS, which would require me to reinstall ACT.  They have no known fix. 

Microsoft suggests in their KB; http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/900243 that "This problem occurs because of an incorrect algorithm in the Wldap32.dll module. This incorrect algorithm copies the memory too frequently. This behavior causes a performance problem." They also say it refers to a problem with exchange and OWA.  I do not have exchange on this box. I did make sure that I had the recommended Service Packs on the server and it has not helped.

Celia

Celia,

Reinstalling IIS will not require you to reinstall ACT!.  YOu will have to recreate the ACT! for Web virtual directories in IIS.

How to Manually Create and Configure a Web Site and Virtual Directory for ACT! Premium for Web

Thank You.  I was misinformed by the Tech I spoke with yesterday.  I will give this a try.