Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

v19.2 for Web, Group Detail View - Customize Columns not working

Copper Contributor

v19.2 for Web, Group Detail View - Customize Columns not working

In the Act V19.2 for Web, in MS Edge, the customize column dialog box will not pop up while in the Groups Detail View.  It does work in IE11.  I may need to use both web browsers at the same time to get what I need.  I have tried Chrome or Firefox yet since historically these did not work well with Act.  Any idea on what settings I need to change?

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: v19.2 for Web, Group Detail View - Customize Columns not working

Unfortunately in the system requirements LINK only appear the following web browsers with support:

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 4.23.07 PM.png

https://www.act.com/products/system/v19/premium#web

Juan Otero
Juan.otero@praxisol.com
Bronze Elite Contributor

MS Edge is a cut down browser that makes it faster than other browsers but lacks the ability to fully interact with programs like ACT.

Use Chrome or IE for best results.

Copper Contributor

so I downloaded v20, but it doesn't support Edge either. I sure am glad Swiftpage is telling Microsoft that their Edge browser sucks, and that everyone is staying with IE11, a browser MS is moving away from.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Swiftpage have also put a lot of effort in making Chrome an alternative to IE as well so could try that option. Not sure if Swiftpage will invest in the work needed to get it compatible with Edge or even if is a viable option so IE and Chrome are the way to go.

Administrator

It's a little bit of a standoff with Microsoft at this point, not just from Swiftpage, but from developers of web apps on the whole.

Microsoft is making it clear that they want to move their userbase onto Edge and away from Internet Explorer - however, Edge simply doesn't have the support for a lot of more complex web technologies that make up the backbone of web applications. It's up to Microsoft to develop functionality in Edge that will allow developers like Swiftpage to fully utilise and support that browser.

As ch1p has mentioned, Chrome is a great alternative to IE, and one that Swiftpage is dedicated to supporting. There are a small few features however, which rely on functionality that is ONLY available in IE - namely the integration with other Microsoft products like Word/Outlook.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

OK, so after the great debate about how Swiftpage is move ACT away from IE11 and everyone knows that EDGE sucks, so lets go with Chrome...  Chrome still does not support Active X controls. So half of the usefulness of ACT is not usable.

For example:

NONE of the Outlook Integration menus under TOOLS is available in Chrome/Firefox.  I'm also unable to edit templates in the WRITE pull-down menu in Firefox, all the options are greyed out except for "E-Mail Message".

I think SP needs to rethink their IE11 response in above reply.

See post below:

https://community.act.com/t5/Act-Premium/Certain-Menu-Options-Missing-From-Chrome-Firefox-Browsers/m...

Administrator

IE11 is the recommended browser for use with Act for the reasons you've mentioned.

We consider Chrome a supported browser, and are constantly releasing improvements targeted at customers using Chrome - however, as you've mentioned - there are features that currently require the use of IE.

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but you mentioned that Swiftpage is moving Act away from IE11 - this isn't the case, and we actively recommend that this is the browser that users make use of.
Bronze Elite Contributor

As Jon states MS are offering Edge as the IE replacement but it just not have the functionality for developers to use in more complex designs and yes Chrome also has drawbacks. It seems MS have quietly acknowledging this as IE is still available and being patched when MS sends out updates.

Copper Contributor

Sounds great guys, thanks for the response.  The answer I got is I need to use all four browsers to use different features of Act.