12-21-2015 04:18 PM
This is sort of an FYI to swiftpage and the community.
We have found several bugs in v17, most of which were not fixed in v17. Support advised up to try v18.
I setup a brand new server08r2, installed a clean copy of v18, then proceeded to test 1) known v17 bugs and 2) poke around a little.
v18 confirmed bugs:
1. For the first time ever, an upgrade will wipe out your custom layouts. We've had a custom layout for 10 years through 3 versions. Now it's gone and w/ have to be remade by hand.
2. Cannot run/cancel an advanced query in chrome/ff. I *did* try and load the patch for this from MS, but apparently a fully patched server does not need and will not load this patch.
3. Email setup only works properly in IE. Chrome/FF have to save, exit, re-enter the email area a total of 3 times in order to create the account, make it active, and setup a signature.
4. Email signatures setup WHEN CREATING an email account ignore carriage returns. Signatures made AFTER the account is active do not suffer this problem. This may be a chrome/ff only bug.
5. When using act email: clicking on an email address in contact view activates act email. Clicking on the SAME address in LIST view opens whatever your default desktop email is.
6. DB login is MUCH, MUCH slower than v17.
7. List view, click a contact, schedule an appt in the future 1-2 days, return to list view, click a DIFFERENT contact, click their email address. Email composition is started, but with the 1st contact as the recipient as well as pre-populating the body with contact #1's meeting details.
8. Email setup via chrome does not appear when using ff/ie. However, email setup via ie DOES appear when using ff.
Several of these bugs were confirmed (with case #s) in v17. We are very unhappy that they have not been fixed (reported ~4 months ago).
Furthermore, it calls into question just what the heck is going on there if these things are not fixed in v18 either.
Some of what I found was uncovered in 15 mins of playing around. What, it any, beta testing goes on there?
These bugs are confirmed also on act's own demo site for v18.
12-22-2015 01:55 PM
We were experiencing the SLOW login in v17. Anywhere from 30-90 seconds to login to APFW. We were really hoping v18 would help, but it is slower.
We now are evaluating all options, back to sync, VPN or another product.
12-22-2015 02:02 PM
We are running xeon server with ssd raid with tons of ram and it still doesn't help on speed but just a tiny bit.
If you notice, there's an anti-copying process that runs (and takes forever) each time someone logs it. watch your processes...
12-22-2015 02:04 PM
We have plenty of horse power on the server and the 2 web servers. It is the Protexis license service that kills it. We can watch the process stall out waiting for confirmation we have a license. I was told by ACT support this would be addressed in v18...
12-22-2015 03:05 PM
Good luck with the 'told it would be fixed' thing. Several of the bugs i listed were known and promised a fix.
It got so bad 2 years ago, I sat down and hand wrote a snail-mail letter to the CEO and COO, then sat back and waited...
Few weeks later, someone that was HIGHLY motivated to fix my problem called me.
Looks like it's time to do that again.
12-22-2015 09:08 PM
I'd first like to say I appreciate the work that went into your post. I've forwarded this list to the team and we'll start our research on these issues as soon as we can. I hope to provide you tracking numbers and, working with Andrew, the disposition of each item you've reported.
12-23-2015 03:49 AM
Thanks for chiming in.
I've worked mostly with Billy Clark lately. He was tracking some of these issues. I have sent him some videos that show how to recreate these errors.
Send me an email or something and I w/ send you some screenshots/etc.