Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

users and administrators

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

users and administrators

I am setting up sychronization of two databases on the network.  We each have a license.

Can we both by "Administrators"?

If I am the publisher is the database that this computer will sync with be a "User"? And therefore I need to add that computer as a user?

Thanks,

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author struve
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: users and administrators

The remote database is the subscriber.  The synchronization is bidirectional.  It will update the remote and main database.

Can you go to Help > About ACT! and give me the version number?

Thanks,

View solution in original post

All Replies

Yes, both users can be administrators.  I'm not understanding the last two questions, could you please explain what you mean?  If there are only two actual people using the database, then you only need two users.

When I was setting up the users for the remote database - the dialog box said there were not enough licenses. I think I have that figured out.   I am still trying to navigate the instructions on setting up synchronization. 

We used ACT 5 for years and the sync program on the 2009 Premium seems very complicated.  Can you tell me how it works?  The publisher creates a remote database the subscriber unpacks the remote data.  Does the subscriber synchronize with the remote database? And if so how do changes made on the publisher database get to the remote database?  I am trying to use Application Synchronization but have not been able to activate the Synchronize Now option under the Tool menu.  But I have only been working on it off and on for a week!!

Correct, you create a remote database (subscriber) from the main (publisher) database.  You then transfer the remote database to the computer that you would like to sync with.  After you transfer the remote database you will need to unpack and restore the remote.  The remote database initiates the sync, not the publisher.  The KB article below will walk you through the whole process.

How To Set Up Application Synchronization in ACT!

David,

I have been able to unpack the remote database on the Subscriber computer.  I then ran the synchronization.  That was successful according to the view sync log in the remote database.

This is going to sound strange - the data in the remote database is not showing up in the subscriber's database. 

I am not understanding how this works?  Does the subscriber and the publisher use the remote database as their database and not the databases on the individual computers?

Solution
Accepted by topic author struve
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

The remote database is the subscriber.  The synchronization is bidirectional.  It will update the remote and main database.

Can you go to Help > About ACT! and give me the version number?

Thanks,