Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

unable to open database (check network connection)

unable to open database (check network connection)

[ Edited ]

Is it just me? REALLY upset with ACT and 2011 product. Been a user for over 10 years and so dissapointed in them.

I have am sure a simple error that need fixing and can't get this done

The error

The database mydatabase name could not be accessed. In order to access thsi database, check your networki connection and verify your datase server is available. It may be necessary to discable any firewalll software on your computer or the server.

1. My database is not part of the network

2. Checked firewall software

(edited title: please post courteously)

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: unable to open database (check network connection)

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello ShriL,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

This error is commonly seen due to the SQL Server (Act7) service not running.  To check this service:

- left click on the Windows Start button

- in XP > select Run

- in Vista/Windows 7 > use the Search field

- enter 'Services.msc' and hit enter

- on the Services screen, scroll down to locate 'SQL Server (Act7)' and check the Status column

- if it is blank, right click on 'SQL Server (Act7)' and select Start from the menu

- once started, attempt to open your database

Here is an article with further steps for resolving this error message: KB Article 19640

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi I had this same problem and went through all these steps and I went through this http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1771... .

But when i reopened the file in Act, it starts to verify the file I get this error :

The log scan number (2653:238:3) passed to log scan in database is not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file (.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error occurred during replication, re-create the publication. Otherwise, restore from backup if the problem results in a failure during startup. Could not open new database. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.

What can I do to get this to work ?

Platinum Elite Contributor

If your database is corrupt, you'd need to either restore a backup or contact database services to see if it can be repaired
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Blauwa,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

I'm unable to determine which version of ACT! you are running, but it if happens to be ACT! 2011 - there is an option in the Actdiag utility that will attempt to recreate the Log File (*.ALF).  If this is the version you are running:

- browse to the location of your database (through 'My Computer' or 'Computer' on Vista/Win7)

default is 'My Documents\Act\Act Data\Databases'

- rename the *databasename*.ALF file (add a '1' to the front of the name)

- click on Windows Start button

for XP > select Run

for Vista/Win7 > use Search field

- enter command 'actdiag' > hit enter

- on Actdiag screen > select Tools > Attach Act! Database > Missing Log File > browse to location of your database and select *databasename*.ADF

- when complete > attempt to launch Act! and open your database

As Mike mentioned, the other options are to restore a backup or contact technical support.

Greg Martin
Sage

That fixed my problem - not certain why it happend but it now works perfectly - thank for saving me a lot of time

This error is commonly seen due to the SQL Server (Act7) service not running.  To check this service:

- left click on the Windows Start button

- in XP > select Run

- in Vista/Windows 7 > use the Search field

- enter 'Services.msc' and hit enter

- on the Services screen, scroll down to locate 'SQL Server (Act7)' and check the Status column

- if it is blank, right click on 'SQL Server (Act7)' and select Start from the menu

- once started, attempt to open your database

Here is an article with further steps for resolving this error message: KB Article 19640