Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

task list dropdown for "types" is blank (little white box)

task list dropdown for "types" is blank (little white box)

[ Edited ]

In the task list when I click on the type drop down I get a blank window in the upper left corner of the screen? We are running ACT Premium 2006 for workgroups ver 8.02.82 (networked).

I've rebooted the workstation, logged on as an admin but get the same result. This has happened on several workstations but not all workstation running ACT

Any help is appreciated

Joe

[edit: added '(little white box)' to subject]

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: task list dropdown for "types" is blank

Joe,
It sounds like you are describing an issue reported by several people as a 'little white box'. In our Community, it has only been reported as affecting ACT! 2006; but there are a lot of other reports of the 'white box' in other communities. The common theories are:
1. Microsoft Update
2. Malware/Virus

I have just seen one post where the person was able to get rid of the 'white box' by changing the Desktop image.

At this time, we don't know the 'fix' for this issue.
Greg Martin
Sage

Greg

It is indeed a little white box in the upper left corner of the screen. It seems to effect the types, priority and status drop down boxes. I uninstalled and reinstalled ACT. I've uninstalled all .Net packages run full malware and AV scans to no avail.

All impacted w/s' have automatic updates enabled. I have several other machines that are not impacted and they do not have updates enabled.

Joe 

Thanks for adding the additional information. From your description, it would seem a Windows update is the culprit.

I've tagged this post with 'little white box' so that I can easily find it and post any new information we may receive.
Greg Martin
Sage

Re: task list dropdown for "types" is blank (little white box)

Greg

I was able to resolve the issue on one of my machines. I uninstalled an IE8 security update and an Office security update. Both were dated 2/15/12. Removing these did not resolve the problem.

During previous un-install/reinstalls of ACT I was never prompted fro my serial number. It would seem a critical element was not removed.

I performed a manual uninstall of act using one of the kb articles, all instances of .NetXX, MSSql...

With a reinstallation of ACT all of the windows worked properly

Joe

Joe,
Thank you for the update! This is the first I have seen where the issue was resolved. Certainly not a quick fix...

Note: You are correct, the normal uninstall does not remove 'every' piece of the program (registration data being one piece). A few components are left in place to make re-installation easier.
Greg Martin
Sage

The problem stems from .net framework 1.1

removing it seems to resolve the problem, no re-install of act neccessary

Hello Cpusolutions,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Thank you for the additional troubleshooting step. It may save a lot of time!
Greg Martin
Sage