Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

startup on win 8.1 slow

Copper Contributor

Re: starup on win 8.1 slow

Ok here is something else I tried. Tried doing a restore as of my database on my server. WHen trying to access this fike it is just as slow.

Ok here is where I think I am onto something. I downloaded a little file to test my lan speed test called LAN_SpeedTest.  You can point to any folder to use as a test. If a point it to any folder on my network it does an instant test giving me a speed result of +- 400Mbps.

But If I point it to either of my act databases then the test takes a while to start and gives me a non responding then finally starts, giving me similar test results.

It's almost something is blocking these files from my databse to be instantly accessed. I did turn off all firewalls and ant-virus on both computers and no difference.

Where else can I look?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Not surprised with the results from that test app. ACT! doesn't access the database files directly, the database is accessed through the SQL server and the SQL server has the database files open aoo the time.

ottom line, you say the database opens fast at the server and it opens fast when you make a local copy of the database on the workstation. What's left is some problem with the network transfer. It could be a problem with the network itself (doesn't sould likely from your testing) or some system conflict is making the ACT! communication with the server SQL server very slow.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Ok thanks . how can I teest if there is  some system conflict is making the ACT! communication with the server SQL server very slow.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Finding the conflict is usually a trial and error process. Selective startup can sometimes be used.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Ok don"t know what to do no more. I tried stopping all startup items in msconfig and re-booting. Turned off most of my services.

read somethinfg about getting the port used in actdiag and adding exception to firewall on both server and desktop. that didn't work but not surprised as I have tried stopping both firewalls and anti-virus.

Read others that were having same problem and renamed the home folder to home backup.

Nothing seems to work.

Accessing my files through the server with other software like movies music etc is instant.

My workstation both sql and act are on a ssl drive so speed shoudn"t be a concern there.

Last night uninstalled act and sql and re-installed

what next? can office 2013 have anythng to do with it?

This is probably going to be SQL's fault, but let's check one thing first:

Are any of your Act! services, or Protexis, set to run Automatically with a Delayed Start?

I have noticed that there are a couple of issues with Windows 8.1 connecting to the ACT7 instance of SQL.  There is a batch file attached to the KB I've linked below.  Download it, run it as Administrator.

Answer Yes to both questions.

Restart the computer, and try again.

KB: http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28879/kw/resetsql.bat

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com
Copper Contributor

thanks for trying but no it didn't make a difference.

I looked at services before trying your batch and all ACT ,protexis and sql were set to automatic except for

SQLAgent$ACT7
MSSQLServerADHelper100

that are set to disabled.

after running your batch file all stayed the same.

What about antivirus/firewall software?  What are you running?

Let's look into what was discussed earlier.  Can you try creating a new database, hosted by the computer affected?  Does it do the same thing?

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com
Copper Contributor

Like mentioned I tried turning off both firewalls and anti-virus. I am running the anti-virus (defender) from win 8.1.

Yes I created a new database on the server and had the same problem if trying to access from workstation. If I open the demo databse on workstation then all is good.

Copper Contributor

Tried different tests.

Created from my workstation a win 8.1 virtual machine. Installed only act.

SAme thing is happening, acessing database from server is painfully slow. restoring same database locally all is fine.

Turned off firewall and windows antivirus , rebooted and still the same.

Created anothe virtual windows using windows 7.

Accessing database from server all is ok accessing locally all is ok.

Therefore it seems windows 8.1 there is a problem acessing the databse if it is on the server.

Is anybody using windows 8.1 as workstation accessing database from a windows essentials server?