Do you mean 

startup on win 8.1 slow

Copper Contributor

startup on win 8.1 slow

[ Edited ]

Act premium 2013 15.1.108.0

server ACT PREMIUM WEB 2013 15.1.108.0

windows 8.1 pro

I had act premium on window7. I decided to move on to win 8.1. When opening act it is extremely slow compared to before on windows 7.

It starts opening then I get a blank page for a while with a few lines and then finally opens.

I did uninstall everything including SQL and re-installed and same thing happens.

On windows 7 it wasn't the fastest to open but now it is much worst.

But when opened it all works fine.

Where should I be looking?

Re: starup on win 8.1 slow

Does this occur when you're loading the database via the web from a client machine, or when you're loading the program itself on the server or workstations?

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Copper Contributor

when I am loading the program from the workstation.

Copper Super Contributor

It's fine on my Windows 8.1 system.  Do you have any add-ons?  Histoically, a clean reinstall versus an upgrade turns out better as everything is reset and not inheriting anything.  Of couse I have to back up my data and know that it will take me some time to put everything back in place but IT consultants are known for stating this as a good practice every year or two.

Pete Fernald

Atlantic Database

Copper Contributor

yes I did a clean install of windows 8.1. I beleive that also that always less headaches in the long run. I then installed office 2013 and right after act. Therefore oneof the first things installed. I even uninstalled and re-installed. Don't know where to look any more?

Copper Contributor

Here are some other trouble shooting steps I took to try to figure it out.

from workstation ( win 8.1) did a maintenance repair of database.

If opening same database from server opens at normal speed.

did a maintenance from there also(just in case)

from workstation did a restore as of the database to local ssd drive. database opens fine.

It seems the problem is when accessing the file on the server from workstation.

turned off firewall on both machines and windows defender real time from workstation. same problem

If  I access any other file from my server everything is super fast.

what came be slowing down the read of my server for ACT? Like mentioned before this is a new install of windows 8.1 on the workstation but all components are the same as before. and drivers are all updated.

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

I would suspect a problem with your network. Launching the ACT! program and opening a database causes significant network traffic, significantly more that most other programs. Comparison of launch speed with other programs isn't a valid test. The real test are the ones you made: opening at the server, fast; opening a local database, fast; opening the server database from the local workstation, slow. The single factor that is different is the network. Could be a driver, configuration issues or a bad adapter.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

could this help I did a speed test using lan speed test and I got a read of 429.1706800 Mbps and a write of 409.9928400 Mbps

Bronze Super Contributor

aqus - Have you checked that all your drivers and in particular the LAN nics are up to date?

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

yes I installed the drivers from the motherboard manufacturers. As you can see the speed from the lan transfer test is pretty good. I also tried transferring a movie file from the server to my workstation and it was giving me a speed of 113MB/s downloaded a 25G file in 1:45. My act file is only 60k therefore should't take about 3 minutes to open.