Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

share/unshare act database error message comes up not legal pathway

share/unshare act database error message comes up not legal pathway

Dear Community

i have recnetly transfered a datbase to a new pc following correct protocols etc, however when i come to share the datbase i am getting an error stating that its not the correct legal pathway.

any ideas on how to resolve  (all 7 other databases are working and can be shared)  the database i am trying to share was deleted and reinstalledm it opens ok but i cannot share it ?

any help wellcome  i have windows 7

regards

Greg

Copper Contributor

Re: share/unshare act database error message comes up not legal pathway

Double check the pathway where it was installed and if not on a Domain network and windows 7 I ususally just right click the primary folder and make sure it is set to or has "Everyone" for the share and READ/WRITE on the options.

Since you stated that there were no other issues from this workstation accessing OTHER ACT databases that reside in the same location or target your at issue DB resides, then I would really look closely at where it was installed and its folder sharing properties.

Ed K
NSB FL

Ed

i have done all that you have said and i still am unable to set share/unshare tab internally in the database

any ideas what i should try next ?

Greg

Copper Contributor

Greg let me confirm a few things 1st.

Are all of the databases hosted on the same computer?  To make sure I understand your original post, the database in question was deleted and you reinstalled the database and can access it normally from ACT on that machine?  (My spelling is... well lets just say I'm better than autocorrect...).  And all of the other databases on that same machine are accessable from other machines without issue, just the database you had to reinstall?

What version of ACT Premium are you running?  I use version 14 (2012) myself.

If your version is newer then I would need to presume the menu structure is somewhat similar to suggest these steps.

Under the open database that other computers cannon access, the menu item TOOLS > DATABASE MAINTENANCE  is there a check mark next to SHARE DATABASE?  For example, on my primary workstation that option is checked but it is grayed out because I run my ACT database on a full SQL server on a machine with Windows Server 2008R2.  So if I log into that machine and run ACT then the option is available to change.

This is the link to the entry level KB article on sharing a database in ACT (which I presume you have already looked at).

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13878/kw/share%20act%20premium%20database

One other way I could read you post is that this was a complete new install of ACT on a machine with the database and now it is not shared with others.  Another KB article would direct you to check the Windows firewall state and exceptions to allow ACT to share.

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19420/kw/share%20act%20premium%20database

Let me know about my comments so I get pointed in the right direction....

Ed

Ed K
NSB FL