Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

sage act 2013 premium (netowrk and vpn)

sage act 2013 premium (netowrk and vpn)

Sorry to bother you guys here but I didn't know where else to turn for help.

At work, we haev a small-ish netowrk of which 8 users use sage act premium 2013, all users except one are on the LAN. The odd user is often working from home on a laptop. He needs to vpn from home. He can vpn in but he cannot get a connection to the sage act databsse. he is ok when he brings his laptop in and works on the network but when at home, he cant use SAGE ACT.

His laptop is a new Lenovo running WIn7 64bit tc. SAGE ACT installed ok aswell.

Can someone please tell me what I now need to do to get his sage act working from home over vpn (aswell as over the LAN when he's in the office)

thank you in advance for any help given!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: sage act 2013 premium (netowrk and vpn)

Most likely the VPN isn't properly propagating Netbios

You could try changing the PAD file to use the IP instead of the server name.

But VPN access is very slow ... you might be better off looking at use ACT! for Web or synchronisation for the remote users.

re:you might be better off looking at use ACT! for Web or synchronisation for the remote users

we haven't used ACT for Web. what is synchronisation for the remote users? how is this setup/worked?

Silver Contributor

My sugestion would be to set up network sync. This would mean opening a port in your firewal if you chose  to by pass teh vpn.  traditiaonally, uses have seen performance issues when trying to connect to ACT via vpn and sync will allow you to work even if there is no conection.

Basically synchronization allows you to make a mirrored copy of the master database that will sync accross the internet.. All changes would flow to the master either when the sync command is sent from the remote or by a timer via the sync scheduler.

Here is an article on how.  

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17536/~/how-to-use-the-act!-network-sync-se...

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Bronze Elite Contributor

Running network synch without configuring split DNS on your network, just be aware that you will need to change the IP address within the ACT! synch setup if you are looking to have ACT! synchronise seamlessly as you move location, i.e. between the home and the office network. Your IT people may need to configure split DNS for you.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog