Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

restricting access to contact records

restricting access to contact records

We are using Act premium 2006 for Workgroups, with 3 sales directors. Is there any way to restrict access to the contact record to the salesman for the territory and to the administrator? We don't want the salesman from Florida to read any records from the salesman from Arizona, for instance, but the aministrator should still be able to access the record to keep track of things. We tried making everyone a Standard user, and then going into each contact and setting up limited access, but I can log in as a Standard level user and still see everything. When we read the description of making a record private - it says that the administrator cannot see these records either, only the record manager.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: restricting access to contact records

It sounds like the limited access is not set up properly in your database. It does what you want, at least in later versions of the ACT! program.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

OK, any suggestions on how to set it up properly?

I think "Limited Access" is only an option in the Premium versions of ACT!. With the standard versions, you only have Public/Private.

See this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/6mblup

We are using Act Premium 2006, and we already read this article, but it is not working to restrict the viewing of contacts by people not on the access list. We do NOT want any one to even view a contact record unless it is the record owner or the administrator. So, any further ideas?

Are the users (in Define Users) set as Administrators? If so, they can access all non-private data, so will see LA records.

So, only the Admin should have Administrators access, then they'll see all records unless marked as Private.

Other users should be set as Standard.

If you set each user's contacts as Limited Access with only them, then it should work for you

Also, in Edit | Preferences | Startup | Record Creation Options - set new contacts to Limited Access.

Ms. Hackl is the only administrator, all others, including me are set to Standard. However, in order to change all records, I was temporarily set as an adminstrator to help Ms. Hackl change all records to limited access. She changed me back to Standard, and I logged out and logged back into ACT, and I can still see the records that she changed, as well as all the records I changed. Now, if I read this stuff right, I have access to any public part, like notes, that I created on these records, but as I did not do so, I think I should not be able to see any contacts at all at this time, as I am not the record manager for anything. Am I missing something here or not reading something correctly?

How did you change the records?

Can't recall if this was possible in 8.0, but in later versions, you'd look up  by - Lookup | Advanced | Contact By Access - any access, and user and select a Record Manager.

Then Contacts |  Edit Contact Access | Create New Access List - and just add the Record Manager.

Do this for each user.

Some bits were more manual in earlier versions.

We went to Contact list view, I started at the end and worked backwards, and Ms. Hackl at the front and worked forward, as we got to each contact record, we went to the contact info tab, changed the record manager if necessary to the correct salesman, then click on the radio button for limited access. The users/teams selected defaulted to the record manager, managers and administrators. If I changed the manager, I saved the record and moved to the next one, then moved back to it and checked that the old record manager had been removed from the access list. I then saved again and went to the next record and so on. Some of the records had a telephone number but no address, I would go to the Verizon web site to the area code lookup, and find out what state the contact was in, to determine who to assign it to, and then I would add the state to the contact record. I then saved and went to the next record. However, when we completed all that, and Ms. Hackl changed me back to Standard user level, I logged out of Act and logged back in. If I go to Help About, and look at the database info tab, I am a Standard user, but I can still see all contacts, even the ones I did not work on. Does make a difference if we log in directly to the master database or to a remote database? Ms. Hackl and I are both in the office, and have towers instead of laptops, we log directly into the master database. The 3 sales men log into a remote database on their laptops and periodically they sync to the master. One of the things we are trying to also set up is that their remote databases will only show their own records, not the entire thing. If we get the access right, when they sync up, will that cause their remote databases to eliminate the records they are not supposed to see, or will they remain on the laptop, but they will not be able to change the master record? If the sync does not remove the excess records, is there some way to do so, other than deleting the remote database and recreating it under the new rules?

With ACT! 2006, you might try doing it on mass with the trial of this tool:

http://www.tnhg.com/prod/download/LimitedAccessManager.html

You could also try a Check and Repair in Database Maintenance and rebuild the schema and security with ACT8DIAG as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/6nkhnq