Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

restore to database to old version

restore to database to old version

Does anyone know how to restore from new verson of ACT old. I purchase the new verson (pro ACT 16) when I got a new computer, ut I would still like to back up ACT to my old computer for when I travel. I only bought 1 user in ACT, so they said I have to buy another user to do this. I thought I would ask before buying. The ACT represented seem to hit there is a way, but didn;t want to tell me, he said check out teh forums.

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: restore to database to old version

Keff,

That's not true. You can create a Remote Synchronised Database on your main PC for the one user licence and Restore this onto your old computer. No need for an extra licence if you're using the same single user.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

Thanks David, I almost got it, when I when to restore on old computer I got an error message "The database cannot be restored because it has been created in a newer version of SQL. Any ideas how to preceed?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Install the new version of ACT! on the old computer. ACT! is licensed to the use not to the machine so there's no need for a second license.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

When I purchase ACT I downloaded it, so I don't have the program. I called up ACT support and they didn't offer this to me, should I call and ask for the link?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Check the C: drive on your new computer to see if there's a folder C:\ACT. If there is it's likely the unpacked install files for your copy of ACT! and you can copy that folder to a flash drive of CD/DVD and use the setup in the folder to install ACT! on your old computer.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Keff,

You mentioned in your first post you had Act! Pro V16. Here is the link to download it again should you not find the unpacked files.

http://act.com/download/v16/pro/

Andrew
Silver Contributor

Start the ACTDIAG program on each computer and confirm the version of SQL.  Are you sure you have v16 and not v17?  they changed the sql version that v17 installs with version17.1. this would expxlain your issue.

If you have sql 2014 on the new machine and sql 2008 on the first or some similar discrepancy, this would explain the error.

Unfortunately just uninstalling the program may not resolve the issue you need to get both sql versions nad both aCT versions the same

to determin sql version, go to start, run, actdiag

to determin act version, open ACT go to help, about.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thanks Roy. This worked. It took awhile, I had to install from the ACTSTD file. Thanks to everyones help, it was all very useful.