Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

reporting and monitoring sales activity

Astute Commentator

reporting and monitoring sales activity

[ Edited ]

We are a small company selling online resources to the education sector in the UK. We use currently on Premium 2013 15.01.301.0 Hot Fix 1 and have a team of 5 home based sales people with marketing and customer services teams based at head office.

Most of our work is done through a combination of email and phone contact, including online demos, with the occasional face to face visit. I need to measure total activities completed in each of these different categories - not total activities set, but so far cannot see any user friendly way of creating an easy to view report. A dashboard, similar to the Activities Dashboard would be a good start .....

Any help much appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: reporting and monitoring sales activity

Can you be more specific?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Astute Commentator

Sorry, Roy, seems the second half of my post disappeared into the ether originally. Now corrected.

Have you looked at the History Summary Classic report?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Astute Commentator

Yes and a: it takes an age to download. B: it doesnt record the way i want it to. I was hoping there were plans afoot for a dashboard for quick and easy bespoke reporting. Given ACT is supposed to be a CRM system built by sales people for sales people according to SAGE I would have thought that would not have been rocket science as being a basic requirement rather than something hidden .....
Astute Commentator

having now had another look at the classic report - no that is fundamentally not what I want. That appears to produce a report to show what activity has happened per contact. What I want to know is how many emails, phone calls and personal visits each Account Manager has made each day/week/month. Once I have that, I'd like to compare it with revenue each bring in to measure effectiveness/productivity. Isn't this a fundamental of sales management? I can't believe that there is nothing set up in ACT to record this .... or am I missing something?

You can run the report of each user separately.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

This is exactly what I am trying to accomplish. I am finding that even if I want to modify the Summary Classic, there is no support for finding out how to do it. It's kind of a "secret". The guy replying wrote a book on reporting and dashboard development. I am thinking of buying it, but it's only for 2011. We are both on 2013 Premium.

I am also somewhat amiss that the "standard" reporting focuses so much on how many letters you sent out, but doesn't capture e-mails which is an add on extra component that you have to pay for. Who the heck sends letters?

I would be glad to forward any progress on my efforts if you woulod share yours. I am a Realtor and reporting on activity and profitability of my marketing efforts to my customers is instrumental to my organization and to why I purchased this product.  

Astute Commentator

So you are saying the only way I can get anywhere near the very basic level of reporting I require is by running separate reports for each Account Manager? ..... and then enter them onto an excel database to compare performance over time? As it happens, I only currently have 5 on my team, but we are a rapidly expanding team and want a scaleable system, and something I can see at a glance. It's good to know that there is an expert in reporting and dashboard development responding to this string, but hugely disappointing if this is the best solution available, unless I invest in Crystal Reporting or similar. Shouldn't basic sales reporting be an integral part of a sales CRM system?  

Re email, Tom, we have bought the add on e-marketing system and it does mean you can monitor the number of opens, forwards etc, which might help with your problem of evaluating email activity. You may also have the some problem I have: I'm managing a professional sales team who respond to that interest plus requests from exhibitions/conferences etc. Most of our sales now are done either by email, phone, or more recently by online demo. All I want is a way to evaluate efficiency, but it seems this system cannot even offer that. Even if this were possible, there is no way that I can distinguish between a phone conversation and a formal online demo, other than to ask the team to classify the latter as a meeting .... but then where does that leave me with the small proportion of face to face demos we do?

Here is the link again, please read it carefully especially the last line.

There is a third party book with comprehensive training information on the ACT! reports, here is the link.

https://www.packtpub.com/sage-act-2011-dashboard-and-report-cookbook/book

Full disclusure I wrote the reports chapters of the book.  The report chapters work for all version of the ACT! program since ACT! 2007.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129