Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

report writer function fails on a workstation that was upgraded from ACT 6.0 running in the XP shell

report writer function fails on a workstation that was upgraded from ACT 6.0 running in the XP shell

In the process of upgrading to Premium 2013 I had several workstations that were running ACT 6.0 in windows 7 utilizing the Windows XP shell. These PC's will not run reports in Premium 2013. I have other PC's with Windows 7 that did not have the XP shell running prior to the Premium install and they function properly. I am trying to figure out where the heck the corrupted files are that are over riding the proper function of the reports. Thanks for any thoughts you all might have!

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: report writer function fails on a workstation that was upgraded from ACT 6.0 running in the XP shell

does an error pop up?

Can you post a screen shot?

Have you tried running ACT! as an administrator?

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic

Re: report writer function fails on a workstation that was upgraded from ACT 6.0 running in the XP shell

A small Sage ACT! window opens that says the following:

The report could not be opened by ACT!

This error is generated by all users on the problem PC including the Administrator (me)

Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

The reports in ACT! 6 used the same extension as the reports in ACT! 2005 version 7 and later. It sounds like the ACT! 6 reports are trying to be opened by the later version of the ACT! program.

It would appear that Windows 7 XP mode isn't a true virtual machine. I have a Windows 7 machine and use VMware to create a true XP virtual machine and I don't have the report conflict you're experiencing.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I had all sorts of issues running the virtual XP mode so I have to agree that there is a problem with the virtual machine. With that being said I want to eliminate the files causing the problem. Where are they located on the C: drive as I cannot seem to find them!

Thanks

Copper Elite Contributor

you need to associate the file extensions to ACT! then.
Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic

Mark,

Please provide a bit more detail Please!

Depends on the pathing setup in ACT! 6 they could be anywhere, even on the server. If you delete the ACT! 6 reports then ACT! 6 won't be able to run any reports. Also all that may do is get you a file not found error. In ACT! 6 the report templates weren't part of the database, in the later versions the reports are part of the database supplemental files.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

All the users have been upgraded to run Premium 2013 in the Windows 7 environment now. As such I have legacy users that used to run ACT6 with the problem and newer users that never had ACT 6 loaded up that work fine. This tells me the problem is located on the client machine. I just cannot figure out where.

Did you load ACT! 6 on the client systems after you loaded ACT! 2013. If so the Windows field associations will be pointing to the ones established by ACT! 6.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129