Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

report from PDF

report from PDF

can i create a report from an exisiting PDF document?

basically i have this government application in PDF and i need to fill in our client's details on it. can it be done on act?

Re: report from PDF

a yes or no will suffice, thanks Smiley Happy

Platinum Super Contributor

Basically, 'no'.
While you can copy/paste text from an existing form into a new report, there isn't an option to convert an existing pdf into a report/template.

You'd have to create a new report/template and then manually add (copy/paste) the information to it, and add the fields to be populated with contact information.
Greg Martin
Sage

Yup indeed, Chrisdarm. I agree with Gmartin. There isn't an option to convert an existing pdf into a report/template. But whether there are some PDF SDKs can help with it? Anyone can help? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Arron

Employee

None that I'm aware of unfortunately. Some of the folks on stack overflow recommend iTextSharp if you need to interact with pdf documents from .Net, but I've not worked with it mysefl.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2550796/reading-pdf-content-with-itextsharp-dll-in-vb-net-or-c-sh...

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Platinum Elite Contributor

My initial reaction to you request was that it couldn't be done. However after furter thought I think it could be done. First, there would be no way to convert the PDf form into a report but I believe that I could build a report template that would use the form as a background and overlay the ACT! data in the appropriate locations. Contact me offline if you want to persue this idea.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

arronlee wrote:

Yup indeed, Chrisdarm. I agree with Gmartin. There isn't an option to convert an existing pdf into a report/template. But whether there are some PDF SDKs can help with it? Anyone can help? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Arron

are you talking about Adobe PDF? i haven't tried yet, but i heard it is a poweful pdf application to deal with pdf document. not sure whether it can convert pdf into a report.