Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

remote sync not working

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

remote sync not working

Well I am new to using ACT! and new to remote database as well, so forgive me if this has been answered. I searched and did not find the answer.

We set up my laptop with a remote database, which is part of the total database. Easy enough, now when I am back from 3 days out on the road, the database won't sync. Here is the word for word message:

"ACT! is unable to connect to the sync server. CHeck to be sure "accept incoming sync" is enabled in the main database and that the Network sync service is running. Also be sure you are connected to your network. Contact your administartor for assistance. "

Of course I tried checking all of that before I came here. Now my data and the main data don't match and next week I head out again, we don't want to get too far behind on this. Thanks in advance, Loren

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Loren
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: remote sync not working

OK well I called and got SAGE to email a link to the specific issue, after going through it a couple of times, I found the issue. The only real bad part was that my original remote database got deleted by accident, so I am having to retype the notes. lesson learned make sure everybody knows what is going on with outside reps so they don't  "clean up" the wrong file. Thanks for all the help it works perfectly now. I just had to miss a day of on site visits.  Loren

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Loren,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. This error is usually the result of something preventing access to the sync service on the host computer, like a firewall, incorrect server information, or insufficient permissions. It can also be cause by your version of ACT! not matching the version on the server. Are there other remote databases, and are they able to sync?

A couple of things you can check:

Version of ACT!
Go to Help > About ACT! on your remote machine and make sure the version of ACT! you have is the same as that on the server

Connection Information
In your remote database, go to Tools > Synchronization Panel and click Manage Connection Information, Make sure the server name is correct and the port number you have matches the port number used by the sync service on the server.

Note: If you are using ACT! Pro, then ACT! would need to be open on the server in order to sync.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Greg, I did check that both machines have the same version, they also show the same server, location etc. I can get on the main database with no issues so I assume that it's not blocked by the firewall. I just hate to go back and compare then retype all this information. I visited 15-20 customers each day and now my information is not being transferred. Loren

Copper Contributor

Sorry I guess my version might help.  sage 2010 version 12.1.181.0 hot fix 1

We have this working perfectly in the office, but it just won't sync the information. Loren

Silver Contributor

What type of sync are you doing? network, internet, application Sync?

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Are there other remote databases, and are they able to sync?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Network sync, inside a firewall.  I am the only remote database, the only outside sales rep. so still trying to figure issue.  Loren

Are in the same location as the server when syncing? If not, then how are you connecting to the network?

If the server is using Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Server 2008 then try disabling User Account Control on the server. For the server's firewall, need to add an exception for sync port, which is TCP port 65100 by default (you can verify the actual port by opening the network sync user interface on the server).

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

I am in the office today, connected via wireless network, I am going to hook to the network via ethernet cable, add the exception and try again. I sure wish we had set up more days before the required sync, I am down to 4 days left before I lose my database.

Silver Contributor

You won't loose your database when time runs out, but you may need to get some outside help troubleshooting this.?  Most ACT consultants can help with this work remotely.

The days left to sync is just a timer, it won't kill your database.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider