Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

remote sharing through vpn (hamachi)

remote sharing through vpn (hamachi)

I want to share my database via vpn over the internet.  I don't want to synchronize at this point because it would take too long (large database).  

My remote user is running vista and trying to connect to our server system running windows xp.   My other remote users running windows xp can connect fine.  They are both using hamachi to connect.

The error I'm gettting is that 'the database cannot connect.  Please contact your network admin... this may be a firwalll setting.. '

I have added both ACT and Hamachi to the firewall exceptions.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: remote sharing through vpn (hamachi)

Thanks for your prompt reply, 

I have looked through there.  I might have missed something, but I can't figure out why my remote windows xp will connect with no problems, but my vista one won't.   I keep thinking its a vista setting that I'm missing.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Unfortunately, you can't just look through ... you have to try each point and when one works, you'll be able to see what the difference was.
Bronze Elite Contributor

We find, in general, that peer-to-peer networks where you are attempting to link from a Windows Vista machine or a Windows 7 machine to Windows XP can be troublesome.

It is often a permissions issue or a network consistency problem. Having all peer-to-peer users as users on all machines aids reliability as well as editing the Windows hosts file so that machine names are tied to IP addresses helps. Short of engaging an IT systems person, you might find that getting machines on a common operating system basis, e.g. all Windows 7 will work. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog