Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

remote database sync grey'ed out after not sync'ing for a while

phz

remote database sync grey'ed out after not sync'ing for a while

We have the publisher (ACT Premium 2011 version 13.1.111.0.Hotfix 1)  installed on a win 2008 32 bit server. Several remote databases were created using a common sync set and used by several users on their win 7 64 bit laptops and desktops. The issue I observed was that if one user forgot sync'ing with the server for a while, say, after 90 days, his ACT "synchronize now" became grey'ed out. He was not able to sync with the publisher again. On the server, synchronization panel->manage database still said he was still active.

This happened twice now. My questions:

1. How to get his local database back to sync again with the server?

2. Why couldn't  the remote database sync up with the server if user forgot sync'ing for a while?

3. I was looking for a way to let the sync happens automatically, e.g, during the night when the computer is not in use. But I realized that ACT has to be opened and user has to log in for sync to happen. Is there any way to set up sync as a stand alone window service or any way of loggining into ACT to sync up with the server?

Thanks,

Nickel Contributor

Re: remote database sync grey'ed out after not sync'ing for a while

1) If you cannot synchronise the remote database you will need to backup the database and then you can restore it on the server and then merge the remote into the main database by using the import wizard. 

This should help with importing http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22042

2) It will be due to the setting you had in the "Set the number of days that synchronize expires...." when creating the remote

3) On the machine with a remote database you can use ACT! Schedular to automatically synchronise the remote database with the publisher.  This goes through setting it up. http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19216

phz

Re: remote database sync grey'ed out after not sync'ing for a while

Thanks. It turns out the user was using a wrong database. But I will activate the scheduler as explained in 3).