Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

remote access to Sage ACT premium 2011 ( will a VPN work well)

Copper Contributor

remote access to Sage ACT premium 2011 ( will a VPN work well)

ACT is a very powerful program, but we are a very small user--and I need remote access when in the field.  Right now we have 2 laptops in the field and one admin in the office.

We are considering have a local DB on the laptops and have my admin have her own and then use  sync each hour to keep things updated,  One issue is that we do not have a static IP address  (and are not considering it)

We are considering a VPN solution (which allows for real time access to a db that we all share)--  but have found Logmein himachi seems to lose connection to the database (although the VPN works great for finding our regular work docs) --

We really do not have the funds to pay for hosting ACT, so are trying to find the best way to accomplish our goals:

-- have ACT up and running and updated

-sharing the database (real time multiuser would be ideal) 

Thank you

Re: remote access to Sage ACT premium 2011 ( will a VPN work well)

[ Edited ]

Create ONE database on your server (no remotes) and keep your field guys connected through VPN (we use SonicWall). It's not cheap but it works because we have a very, very smart SonicWall tech.

Copper Contributor

thank you for your kind help.

As I said...we have tried that...and Himatchi VPN does work..most times witht our "my docuemmts" on the server and about 50% of the time with ACT---  I wonder if any paid servcie csan do better...This seems to be more of an ACT issue than the VPN...

How can I tell?

Nickel Contributor

Try LogMeIn's free Himachi VPN service. You'll love the ease of setup, the performance, and most certainly the price.

I've written an article on it at the following link:

http://keystroke.ca/default.asp?pID=247

Hope this helps your synching needs.

Kq\

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Copper Contributor

Thank you..we have used Himachi for 6 months...wee have no problem access our wrod docs ..ect...but when trying to acess our ACT DB..we get error messages from time to time... like right now...

we get the atatched error--Himachi currenlty has 3 computers on it (besides sever)--2 are laptops on remote and other in our office..I wonder if the one in the offcie is causing the problem since its also on a LAN at the same time?

act error.jpg

Nickel Contributor

It will work for remotely connecting to the office database (I just did tested it a moment ago), but my suggestion was to use it for synching inside the firewall.

If you're really intent on accessing the database across a Himachi VPN, yu shuld check the Window's firewall properties of the host. Make sure the two SQL ports are open, and most importantly check that you're unique ACT TCP-IP port is open, as well. You can get this from ACTDIAG (Server, and then Server Security from the pull-down menu).

Once these exceptions are enabled, youl should be fine to connect remotely.

Kq\

Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Copper Contributor

actually..the wish to to use this real time..but may not be possbile....so synch is our other consideration...but two of us access this databse in the field...  will this mess up synch if we eaxch sync each hour?  how will ACT knwo which is mst curreent

(and by sycnc...I am meaning we ahve our own copy of the db local and only uplaod chnages)...  but iwhout a fixed IP asddress,I hear this causes problems

I am so grateful to your assitace...just want to be pointted in proper direction

Nickel Contributor

You can configure ACT Scheduler to sync every hour, but you can certainly force syncs at a higher frequency than that.

As for your question of how will ACT know which remote database to give priority to when both are synching so often, I get asked that often. The occaions where the same field in the same contact record gets updated with different/competing information within the same sync cycle are rare to non-existent.

Anyway, you seem to have a good plan for moving forward.

Best of luck.

Kq\

Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Copper Contributor

Actsaully...I have no plan at all...

I am totally confused...

Sync or real time..

and VPN (but does it hiccup on a non dedic ated IP address ?)

I nee this fgured out once and for all...

help!!

Platinum Elite Contributor

VPN adds a lot of overhead ... so, unless you have VERY good internet bandwidth at BOTH ends, you will most likely get disconnections when accessing a database (unlike basic office files).

Remote Desktop or Web are the options usually preferred for real-time, remote connections.

You might have a look at:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/11/supporting-remote-users-with-act-by.html