Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

recovery from a hard drive back up

Copper Contributor

recovery from a hard drive back up

one of my remote users has a hard drive backup of his database

his lap top crashed and we have rebuilt everything including ACT programs but not his data base

can we reinstall his data base from his backup (not the backup generated by ACT - an image of the files on his hard drive)?

if yes, anthing I need to watch out for?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: recovery from a hard drive back up

Yes, provided you actually have a backup of the database ADF and ALF database files. Because these files are held open by the SQL server, you may not have a backup of those files. Most backup programs will not backup open files.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

[ Edited ]
I have 2006 version of Act I am trying to export that data base into my new version 2008 (on my new laptop). I've tried putting the data base on a thumb drive it will not import. I tried exporting to a file it will not import. I tried using the back up it will not import (says must be on the same computer file was created from to comlplete the back up. Serioulsy, with all do respect why is this so much like rocket science to do something so simple and mundane. I expected there might be a hiccup with a conversion process this is as bad as outlook. Can anyone help?
Message Edited by Nezello on 02-07-2009 05:22 PM
Message Edited by Nezello on 02-07-2009 05:23 PM
Message Edited by Nezello on 02-07-2009 05:23 PM
Copper Contributor

I found that I had to have the old database on the laptop and then I could import using the new ACT software.....it didn't like "foreign" drives.   Hope it works for you.
Copper Contributor

(someone correct me if I am wrong) I would simply create a new RDB remote data base from the master PC in your office...un pack it on the newley configured laptop and you will be in business with a up todate database