Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"unable to acquire sync server object" on network sync

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

"unable to acquire sync server object" on network sync

I have 2 remote users (internet) that I'm trying to establish remote sync with.  I have successfully gotten one to work using a dynamic hostname (using the dyn.com dynamic DNS service to resolve hostname with a dynamic IP address).  I've verified that my hostname is resolving properly (I can access the VPN with this hostname).

I created the remote DB's the exact same way (using 'network sync', not 'internet sync') and using the hostname as the 'machine name'.  I also tried using the public IP address and it failed the same way.  On the remote side, I tried modifying Main Database Location (it was still set to the local LAN hostname of the main database machine, probably since an initial sync had not yet been successfully performed) to the internet hostname (xxx.dyndns-server.com).  I also tried to modify under 'Manage Connection Information" and it had been set for 'internet sync', despite the setting on the publisher of 'network sync'.  I changed it to network sync and it still failed.

I've verified that the network sync service is running properly and that the router is allowing traffic on port 65100.  I also tried this using Application sync and it failed as well.

I repeated the process of creating a remote DB and distributing it to one of my test machines (remote via internet, but using network sync).

I read a KB article http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16533 and there is inaccurate info about modifying the remote's PAD file to match the publisher and of course, that causes ACT to hang trying to reach a non-existent server.

I'm out of ideas on how to get this to work.  How can it work on 1 remote internet client and fail on 2 others with identical setups on both ends.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to the one machine that currently is successfully syncing.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ActNewb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: "unable to acquire sync server object" on network sync

Problem fixed.  Changed 'Managed Main Database Location' in Sync Panel from the internet hostname to the local machine name where the main database is hosted.  It had been set that way initially, but when troubleshooting, I had changed both this and the Manage Connection Information setting to xxx.dyndns-server.com.

Still can't figure out how the connection properties for the remote DB got created incorrectly by ACT when I had specified 'network sync'.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author ActNewb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Problem fixed.  Changed 'Managed Main Database Location' in Sync Panel from the internet hostname to the local machine name where the main database is hosted.  It had been set that way initially, but when troubleshooting, I had changed both this and the Manage Connection Information setting to xxx.dyndns-server.com.

Still can't figure out how the connection properties for the remote DB got created incorrectly by ACT when I had specified 'network sync'.

Nickel Super Contributor

That doesn't work for me.  I have th original machine name -- tech support spent 2 hours today and could not make it work.  Virgin server, Premium 18 HF7.  Work stations had 16, removed it and SQL, removed tmp files and rebooted.  Clean installation - no issues whatsoever ---- except they can't sync.  Owner that was headed out of town today without his laptop was NOT a happy camper.

Brenda Dixon
ACT! Certified Consultant
Dixon Consulting Solutions
404-405-4116
brenda@dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.GoToAssist.com/sb/dixon (FOR SUPPORT)
Administrator

[ Edited ]

There are a few Knowledgebase articles that we have regarding this error:

http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23332
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17403

You can find more articles for this error in other specific situations using search:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/list/kw/unable%20to%20acquire%20sync%20server%20object/search/1