Do you mean 

"The RPC server is unavailable"

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

"The RPC server is unavailable"

Using: ACT! by Sage Premium for Web 2010 Version 12.1.181.0

Running on Windows Server 2003 SP2

If I go into the Report Designer and go to Edit | Define Filters, I get the error "The RPC server is unavailable". Can you give me some insight as to what procedure call it is trying to make here? Thanks! 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author cre8tivex
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: "The RPC server is unavailable"

Actually, the absence of a default printer will cause this error. Please see the following Knowledgebase article for more information:

Errors referring to RPC Server

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hello cre8tivex,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. It's a little unusual to get that error in the report designer. What output method do you have for the report? Is it Rich Text or MS Word? If so, try changing to "Preview". Does this happen on the workstations that have ACT! installed (if any)? Does it happen with all report templates, or just one?

Also, make sure that your RPC service is running:

Go to Start/Run, then type in services.msc to bring up your services list. Locate the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service, and make sure that it is Started and the Startup Type is "Automatic". You can change this by right-clicking on the service and selecting Properties.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thank you for the warm welcome. =)

I've triple checked that that RPC service is running, and the locator is set to manual... which should be normal. If I can't find any solution, I may attempt a reboot during maintenance hours.

All the clients are accessing ACT! through the web interface, and have no issues using the reports, I just can't use the Report Designer on the server itself to make the changes i need to. I found that even going to print preview is causing the error. Is this a known issue when there is no printer installed on the box?

Thanks for any insight! 

Solution
Accepted by topic author cre8tivex
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Actually, the absence of a default printer will cause this error. Please see the following Knowledgebase article for more information:

Errors referring to RPC Server

Greig Hollister

Copper Contributor

Print Spooler was disabled, set to manual and started it, "Microsoft XPS blah blah blah" printer showed up and the problem is gone. Thanks! Was really banging my head against the wall on this one.