Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Restore" not an option on new install

"Restore" not an option on new install

[ Edited ]

I just installed Act 2012 Premium on the server and I have a good backup from Act 2006 Premium for WG I want to restore. The option to restore is grayed out under the file menu and the only option is to open an existing database. I can't even create a new one.

I should mention that during the install I skipped the SQL setup as SQL is on the server and I had created a separate ACT7 instance before the install.

Has anyone seen this and know the solution? I searched and could not find an answer.

TIA - Mike

gray_restore.JPG

Silver Contributor

Re: "Restore" not an option on new install

it''s a sql problem.  ACT can't see your sql instance.  You will have problems starting ACT diag too. ACT needs sql to restore a database, create a new database, and create remotes.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply and that makes sense. Again you were right that ACTDiag could not connect to the SQL Instance. I will have my IT guy re-check the instance he created - though he used the tutorial available here.

Is there harm in reinstalling ACT 2012 and selecting the install SQL Express. The server has SQL 2008 R2 installed.

Platinum Elite Contributor

If the ACT7 instances exists, installing with SQL will connect to it.
If not, it will create it.
If using SQL Standard (or better), you can manually create the ACT7 instance before installing ACT! as per the knowledge base. It will see that and use it rather than installing Express itself

But, either way, if you need a local copy of a database, you must let ACT! include SQL during the install.

Thanks to Jon and Mike for getting me to the right place - all is well.

I reinstalled ACT 2012 on the server and allowed the SQL Express to install - but it did indeed see the Act7 instance and invoked SQL Server 2008 R2 and used it and attached the demo batabase and now it is working as it should.

Cheers!