Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Failed to create remote database" "system cannot find the file specified"

"Failed to create remote database" "system cannot find the file specified"

I am trying to set up a remote database for synchronizing.  I am logged onto my Server 2003 desktop where the databse is hosted and am following "How to set up Act Synchronization" #15192.

Act goes the the process of creating the database, making the index, schema, etx. but at the very end I receive the message ""Failed to create remote database 'REMOTE' system cannot find the file specified...

where REMOTE is the database name.  I also notice in the datbase information windoe, Sync Enabled is True, but Sync Role does not say Published.  The folder where I am trying to create the remote database has no restrictons in the permissions.

Outside of this issue, ACT! 10 appears to be working fine.  Thanks.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: "Failed to create remote database" "system cannot find the file specified"

The destination you are choosing for the RDB file is a logical drive, not a physical drive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Roy,

I have Act! 2008 installed on my Dell PowerEdge server in a share located at c:\Act.  I am trying to place my RDB in a folder c:\RemoteAct.  In a technical sense, drive C: is logical because it is part of a RAID-5 array, but what corporate server today does not have a RAID configuration.

Based on your information, can we not install it on a server with RAID?

Thanks,

Nickel Elite Contributor

Off-hand I would say that it should save there but I know that I have seen that same message when I tried to save to a logical drive. Try creating a folder for the RDB where your database is located and try saving it there.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

It fails with the same message if I try to create the RDB in the same location as my Act database, c:\act

I went on an Vista workstation and tried to create a RDB too and received the same error.

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Just a shoot in the dark here, but can you create a new database on the server?

make sure the SQL ACT7 instance is running.

I would try to create a new database in the location that your trying to create the remote db

Also take a look at KB#14482

Message Edited by ACT2112 on 05-19-2008 11:41 PM

I loaded up the demo database and had the came error trying to create a remote database.  In the 'progress' all the various steps are shown as objects are copied, indexes created, etc.  At the very end the error messge is dispalyed. 

The folder where the RDB was to be created has no traces of the RDB.  I set the permissions on the older to FULL for EVERYBODY.  I have used the folder the ACT database is in and also created folders off the root with the FULL permission for everybody.

I tried to changing the logon for SQL (ACT) to the administrator account instead of the system account.  One final item I might add, I am trying to create the RDB on a Small Business Server 2003 server.  I am coming into the server using Remote Desktop, but I am logging on to the server as the administrator.  This was the same method I used in the first place to do the initial installation of Act.  The account I am logging onto act with is a user account I created that has administrator rights.

Thank you for all the assistance so far.

Tuned Listener

I used to run into these issue's when trying to create remotes using remote desktop in version 8,

is there any way you can physically stand in front of the server and try to create the remote, this would at least rule out the issue with RD.

As I asked in the last post are you able to go into act and create a new database, go into act and click on new database and try to create it where your trying to create the remotes.

And you can't change the logon for the ACT! Instance of SQL its locked down.

let me know how you go

Platinum Elite Contributor

I am running into the same issue.  .  I ran through all the tips and KB articles to no avail.  

I'm running on WinServer 2003 and the ACT databased file is shared on my "D:\Datashare\ACT"   Act is installed at  C:\ but that shouldnt make a difference should it?  I tried creating the remote database at both locations (where ACT is installed, and the another where the ACT database is stored).

Logged in locally, etc..  Created another folder at C:\RemoteACT and granted everyone in the world access, and nope.

I created a new database and tried to create a Remote Database and same thing.