Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Exceptions" Questions Regarding Syncing a Remote Database to the Cloud

Copper Contributor

"Exceptions" Questions Regarding Syncing a Remote Database to the Cloud

Environment:

• Act! Premium Version 19.1.63.0, Update 2
  • Windows 10, fully up-to-date with 2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64 Systems (KB4016871)

After syncing my remote database to the cloud, the snyc log reads:

======== SYNC SESSION - 5/17/2017 6:23:27 AM ========

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:23:27 AM ]Message: Sync remote client created.

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:23:28 AM ]Message: Checking if schema changes are available for sync.

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:23:40 AM ]Message: Client establishing synchronization with server database: ROYALROUT

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:23:43 AM ]Message: Initial Handshake completed.

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:23:43 AM ]Message: Checking if data changes are available for sync.

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:23:44 AM ]Message: Client initialized database send session: 35

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:23:49 AM ]Message: Client initialized.

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:23:49 AM ]Message: Client schema synchronized.

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:23:55 AM ]Message: Server initialized.

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:23:57 AM ]Message: Server schema synchronized.

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:23:57 AM ]Message: Files synchronized.

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:24:15 AM ]Message: Content synchronized.

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:24:24 AM ]Message: Exceptions synchronized.

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:24:25 AM ]Message: Synchronization completion done.

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:24:41 AM ]Message: Synchronization has completed.

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:24:41 AM ]Message: Items sent:

Activity - Added 18, Updated 2

Contact - Updated 12

History - Added 22

Security - Added 4, Updated 5

Total Records Synchronized - 63

Files - Attempted 0, Completed 0

Exceptions Occurred - 2

[ Info | 5/17/2017 6:24:41 AM ]Message: Items received:

Activity - Added 92, Deleted 44, Updated 18

Company - Updated 1

Contact - Updated 40

History - Added 120

Note - Added 3

Security - Added 5, Updated 9

Total Records Synchronized - 332

Files - Attempted 0, Completed 0

Exceptions Occurred - 2

Observations: Exceptions are not the norm; however, they are frequent enough as to cause concern within a database for which revenue generation is important for my business.  After all, Swiftpage touts ACT as the premier CRM for small business.

QUESTIONS:

1) What exactly are "exceptions" in this context?  Please define as if my core competency is not CRM but rather that of a Swiftpage targeted customer, a small business owner.

2) Why do "exceptions" occur?

3) Why do "exceptions" occur on a random basis?

4) What happens to the integrity of the data in my database when "exceptions"?  (open-ended question)

• Is all data being synced with 100% accuracy?
  • Is any data being lost?  Is there any risk of data loss?  If yes, then what are we small business owners to make of this?

5) Is there any cause for alarm for these "exceptions" or is it much to do about nothing?

6) What is going on?  Look at Activity: Activity - Added 92, Deleted 44, Updated 18     So, I jump onto ACT in the AM and do some stuff for an hour max.  There is no way that I am doing 92, 44 or 18 of anything.  I'm clearing off calendar Activities, maybe adding 2 or 3 contacts, and almost never, ever, ever deleting anything (and I don't want to delete things because I want my CRM to maintain a comprehensive repository of all client interaction.  For this sync, I know that I did not delete anything.  This was  a heavy client interaction day and all I used ACT for was the calendar to tell me who I am seeing, when and where.  What is going on?

Request:

Please do not make responses that can be interpreted as: 1) ACT is a nice-to-have thing for which you are paying your money to us  2) It is A-OK Fine, Peachy Keen and Hunky Dory that you have bought our software package which puts your customer data in jeopardy  3) anything that can be interpreted as CRM data loss is acceptable.  (Many of my technology vendors have these attitudes.)

SUMMARY:

ACT is working well, at least as far as I can tell.  I do not want these "exceptions" to cause data integrity issues lurking within my ACT data just waiting to cause me agony that I did not bargain for when I decided to pay Swiftpage my hard earned money.

Many Thank Yous

Administrator

Re: "Exceptions" Questions Regarding Syncing a Remote Database to the Cloud

Hi princeedwardh,

It's hard to say what the exceptions mentioned in the sync log are without performing further steps to capture the information.

The following Knowledgebase article explains the steps needed to turn on trace logging for synchronization: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23411

Once this has been enabled, the SYNCLOG.XML should contain more detail on the exceptions which have occurred. Seeing this would be necessary to understand why they occurred. 

If there are serious errors during sync that Act! determines could result in data loss or integrity issues, then this would trigger an error in the sync UI, and present the error message to you in a more understandable format.

Regarding the Activity sync count, are you the only person making changes to the database, or are there others also syncing?

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the fast response!

I'll check it out.

But, what are exceptions?

So,

• We customers are at risk of data loss, right?
  • Unknown to us, we customers could have holes in our data making our CRM database look like Swiss cheese, right?
Administrator

[ Edited ]

In simple terms, exceptions are events that occur during a program's operation that do not follow the 'rules' the program is expected to follow.

In normal operation, the exceptions are 'caught' by exception handling functions in the program. These recognise the exception has occurred, then takes steps to address them and prevent any serious errors occurring resulting in data loss. The exception is logged in the sync log as a notification that something happened, but it wasn't a problem.

Referring back to my previous post, the UI would prompt you with a error dialog if there was an issue that you ought be aware of, and that should be addressed.

So in answer to your questions, no. If there was a risk, or data loss was detected, you'd know about it though the use of UI error dialogs.

Copper Contributor

OK,

Sigh.................

Thanks for the response.

Here is what I "heard".

I am the target market for SwiftPage, a small business.

I have to do yet another babysitting activity everyday simply to ensure that ACT works, rather than use ACT to earn money.

The ACT Outlook sync absolutely without a doubt does not work.  It is an abysmal failure; yet, Swiftpage continues to sell this functionality and represents that it works.

I am forced, forced, to do dual entry into both ACT and Outlook.  This is a huge time waste.  But, it is what it is and I am resolved to it.

Email posting from Outlook to ACT history and I must check each email as to ensure that it does in fact post.

And there are others.

So, now, I have another babysitting step to do, right?

I'll do as you say.

I do need to continue working to understand what I have gotten into because I did not bargain for all these ACT problems pre-sale.

Thank You, Sincerely

Administrator

Hi princeedwardh,

I think you've misunderstood my explanation. There is no need to 'babysit' any of the sync function or log files. If a serious error occurs that could not be handled, the sync will fail and you'll be notified by a popup error dialog.
There is no need to enable trace logging unless you want to look under hood and inspect and review the actions Act! is taking during the sync.
Copper Contributor

AH HA!

You just relieved great stress.

Thank You.  Thank You Ever So Much.

Bronze Elite Contributor

This might help - Where I have had this with clients in most cases it has been traced to an attachment having been saved with restricted access. When ACT tries to sync the attachment it is not able to because it does not have permission for that specific document even though the folder is correctly shared. 

Copper Contributor

ThankYou for your response.  It is greatly appreciated.

I had the foresight not to use attachments at all, period.  I just felt that the database would get far too large for efficient use and unknown problems would be introduced.

Perhaps my intuition was correct.