Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Define Fields has encountered an unexpected error and has logged the issue"

Re: "Define Fields has encountered an unexpected error and has logged the issue"

Followed your suggestion and ran ACTDiag and 'rebuild/rebuild schema etc and tried the file again and same message 'Define Fields...' I have a feeling that ACT2009 is not too happy with some of the converted fields, my plan is to create a new database, enter all new fields and convert using mapping.

Also, tried signing off as admin, creating new 'user' as admin, then going back in as admin, this has not solved the problem.

Also, the custom layout I was working on was damaged, could not open any layout, got message 'object reference not set to an instance of an object' followed the FAQ directions and copied the layouts, they work but the custom layout does not show up when the db is open, I even renamed and resaved it to the Layouts folder.

Thank you for your input.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: "Define Fields has encountered an unexpected error and has logged the issue"

Sorry you weren't able to track this one down...

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

Hello,

we have got the same error with a migrated version of ACT!11 Premium EX version11.0.0.367. This versiohas been migrated from ACT!9 standard version.

I got this message after changing the field security of some created new company fields from the default permission full access to read only. Before changing of those field we had no errors.

Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

Please find below the error logs from the logviewer.exe

First error log line

Error Message: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '-5' is not valid for 'SplitterDistance'. 'SplitterDistance' must be greater than 0.

Parameter name: SplitterDistance

at System.Windows.Forms.SplitContainer.set_SplitterDistance(Int32 value)

at Act.UI.TabPage.NotesTabPage.OnDataSourceReady()

at Act.UI.TabPage.MutableEntityFilteringGridTabPage.OnConnected()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)

at Act.Shared.Utilities.WeakMulticastDelegate.InvokeSafe(Object[] args)

from Act.Framework.ComponentModel.MutableEntityListComponent.set_MutableEntityList() in :line 0

Second error log line

Error Message: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '-5' is not valid for 'SplitterDistance'. 'SplitterDistance' must be greater than 0.

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)

from Act.Framework.ComponentModel.MutableEntityListComponent.set_MutableEntityList() in :line 0

Third error log line

Fourth error log line

Error Message: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Act.Framework.ComponentModel.Dashboard.OpportunityPipelineByStage.RefreshData()

at Act.Framework.ComponentModel.Dashboard.OpportunitiesComponent.OnConnected()

at Act.Framework.ComponentModel.Dashboard.ConfigurableComponent.frameworkDashboardComponent_Connected()

at Act.Shared.Utilities.AsyncInvokeWeakMulticastDelegate.CallTheWeakReferencedDelegateSafe(SyncInvokeDelegateParms parms)

from System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast() in :line 0

Fifth error log line

Error Message: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Act.Framework.ComponentModel.Dashboard.OpportunityPipelineByStage.RefreshData()

at Act.Framework.ComponentModel.Dashboard.ConfigurableComponent.frameworkDashboardComponent_Connected()

at Act.Shared.Utilities.AsyncInvokeWeakMulticastDelegate.CallTheWeakReferencedDelegateSafe(SyncInvokeDelegateParms parms)

Sixth error log line

at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.set_DataSource(Object value)

at Act.Framework.ComponentModel.Dashboard.OpportunityGridAggregator.RefreshList(OpportunityList newList)

at Act.Framework.ComponentModel.Dashboard.OpportunitiesComponent.RefreshData()

Seventh error log line

Kind regards,

Rob van der Molen
Copper Super Contributor

The error I get in logviewer when making a change to the fields is:

Error Exception: An attempt was made to access the framework without having logged on to a database. Please log on to a database first.Act.Framework.NotLoggedOnException: An attempt was made to access the framework without having logged on to a database. Please log on to a database first.

Hi,

I've contacted Sage Technical Support about this error. They did not have seen this error before, but they think that these fields might have become corrupt due to the .NET 2 framework, or .NET 2 has corrupted the fields. I've checked it and this error only appears on my computer, not on other ones or the server. Therefore I'll try to reinstall the .NET 2 installation and give it a try.

Rob

Kind regards,

Rob van der Molen

I really need to figure this out too.  I have added fields, noticed the error, then noticed the field change seemed to work so I kept moving along.  Then later I had to import data, and that's where the problem comes in.  What this error seems to do, is add the field to the database but does not allow the field to show in the drop down list as field mapping choices during importing.  This seems to mean importing can't "see" the new fields to select them.

So I don't know how to import this data.  The data is coming in as .CSV type data.  What shall I do?  Unfortunately I don't have enough licenses to add extra users with my Act! 2009 version to try the 'login/logout as a different user" scenario mentioned further down the in the post.

Hopefully they will come out with a patch to fix this, but until then, what if I were to copy my database as an empty one and then imported all my contacts into the new, copied database; would this fix the problem do you think?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

BWScott,

The issue you're experiencing with fields missing from the import/export wizard is not because of the error.  Your issue is associated with a previously reported issue that will be resolved in a future update.

Fields Missing When Attempting To Map During Import or Export Wizard

Ouch!  Any idea when this will be repaired?.... Because, until it is, I cannot import to any custom fields - and I have many of them.

Thank you.

Excellent!  I just read this has been fixed in the latest update..

Thank you.

I am getting this message whenever I make changes to the define fields section. Also the custom fields will not sync with my remote database.

I have rebuilt the schema and security from actdiag

logviewer output:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at C1.Win.C1FlexGrid.C1FlexGridBase.set_DataSource(Object value) at Act.Framework.ComponentModel.Dashboard.OpportunityGridAggregator.RefreshList(OpportunityList newList) at Act.Framework.ComponentModel.Dashboard.OpportunitiesComponent.RefreshData() at Act.Framework.ComponentModel.Dashboard.OpportunitiesComponent.OnConnected() at Act.Framework.ComponentModel.Dashboard.ConfigurableComponent.frameworkDashboardComponent_Connected() --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture) at Act.Shared.Utilities.AsyncInvokeWeakMulticastDelegate.CallTheWeakReferencedDelegateSafe(SyncInvokeDelegateParms parms) from System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast() in :line 0