Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

"Define Fields has encountered an unexpected error and has logged the issue"

Copper Super Contributor

"Define Fields has encountered an unexpected error and has logged the issue"

I get this error fairly regularly when changing fields, (for example I just got it while changing the field security from Full Access to Read Only for the contacts Email field - this is in the ACT10Demo database).

Any idea how to troubleshoot this?

Re: "Define Fields has encountered an unexpected error and has logged the issue"

Is this after you've done a number of changes?

Copper Super Contributor

Re: "Define Fields has encountered an unexpected error and has logged the issue"

No a simple, single change will trigger the error dialog.
Copper Super Contributor

And I should have added, once you clear the dialog, the change has actually been made.

I get exactly the same thing in Act 2009 in my database, for example when changing the properties of a drop-down selection field from "allow multi-select" to "not allow multi-select". And I ran "Check and Repair" and no errors where displayed. (This database was a conversion from a v6 database).

I spoke to Sage support today and after some wonderful help, as worked out that my issue appears to be somehow related to the conversion process of my administrator user accounts. By that I mean, in my database I was the only admin, I made another user an admin temporarily, turned myself off from being an admin, logged on as me (as a standard user), logged out, reset myself to be an admin again and logged in (as an admin) and the issue didn't occur anymore.

I am guessing that in the conversion process to Act 2009, something wasn't converted or set that was causing the error.

Anyway, hope that helps others and if I get any more updates, I'll let you know.

Nickel Contributor

Interesting, I had this issue for the first time last week, and it too was with a V6 upgrade. I never lost any changes I made, but I kept being presented with this alarming error message. I will follow you tip and report back.

Kq\

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

Converted from v6 to 2009 v11: Get 'define field error' all the time and then ACT2009 v11 closes. Have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, just did this again an hour ago, ran repair on the database and tried again with the Define Fields, some fields get changed and some do not get changed and then I get the 'Error'. I have 2 databases converted from v6 to 2009 v11 and need to merge them into one database, I need to keep the fields in both databases seperate, the 2 db's have over 300 fields between them, so you can imagine how slow this project is going. The 'Define Fields' process of having to click 'Finish' to update each change is very inefficient, it takes almost 30 seconds for a good update to complete. Any fixes to this problem will be appreciated. Thank you.

Patc

Copper Super Contributor

Anytime you get an error message in ACT!, if you close the application and launch logviewer.exe from the ACT! program folder, it will display the application log.  This, by default, will log some informational messages and any error messages.  If you find error messages, post them here for review - they could offer a clue.

Another thing to try is to run ActDiag.exe (from the machine where the database resides).  Click Start>Run>"ActDiag" from Windows.  Click the Databases option, then select the subject database.  Do a right-click and then "Database Rebuild">"Rebuild Schema", then a "Rebuild Security" to see if that helps.

Good luck.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

Interopt.ACT? When I launched ACT2009 a pop-up ad covered the ACT screen, I assumed it was a promotional add-on product for ACT, the following is the logged error. 

This is the error listed in the Logviewer:

Error Exception: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:29107System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:29107

Server stack trace:
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(IPAddress[] addresses, Int32 port)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.RemoteConnection.CreateNewSocket(AddressFamily family)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.RemoteConnection.CreateNewSocket()
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketCache.GetSocket(String machinePortAndSid, Boolean openNew)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTransportSink.SendRequestWithRetry(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
   at Act.Application.Interop.ActApplicationInterop..ctor()
   at Act.Application.Act.Main(String[] args)